Don't Ghost Your Friends

Just Because Your Home Friends Are Far Away Doesn’t Mean You Can Ghost Them

Show them that you are thinking of them.

169

If you're anything like me, your home friends are some of the greatest friends you have ever had. They are the people who stuck with you, even after most of your friends from high school kicked you to the curb once they found new friends in college. So, when you go back to school, or if you are already back for second semester, make sure that you don't shut them out of your life. Here are some ways to make sure that you don't ghost your home friends.

1. Check up on them.

images.unsplash.com

No matter how far they are, it's important that you stay in contact with them. Friends who have stuck with you for this long are lifelong friends. Obviously, you don't have to speak with them every day of the week, but make sure that you check in on them every once in a while. If they value your friendship just as much, they'll do the same.

2. Write them letters.

images.unsplash.com

This may seem a bit old fashioned, but writing letters is always a way to keep in touch while tapping into your creative side. Many of my friends from home have written me letters throughout our friendship, whether it was for a special event or just because they felt like it. Either way, it made me feel extremely thankful to have them in my life and it ensured me that I was still a prominent part of my friends' lives.

3. Set up a date to hang out and catch up with them.

images.unsplash.com

If they go to school in the state, setting up a time where you can spend the weekend together is a great idea. This way they can see what your life is like at your school or vice versa. Having this time with them is also a great way to catch up with each other face to face, rather than over text message. It'll be a nice mental getaway from the thought of school work, too!

4. Plan ahead if break is around the corner.

images.unsplash.com

Spring break is usually around a week long, if not shorter. So, if you want to see your friends from home in the span of a week, make sure you plan at least a week in advance so that everyone can clear time in their schedule. Don't wait till last minute or you may have to wait until the end of the semester to see them.

5. FaceTime or call them.

images.unsplash.com

Sometimes texting your friends that you haven't seen in a while just doesn't cut it. Hearing their voice or seeing their face heals the ache that forms in your chest from missing them. Make sure you are FaceTiming each other at a time where you both are free. You don't want a facetime or phone call to feel rushed, especially if you haven't seen your friend in a while.