Don't Forget Your Resume

Don't Forget Your Resume

Some do’s and don’ts to take with you on your next job interview

10
Don't Forget Your Resume

I recently had a big job interview with a prestigious agency, located in the Statehouse. The position I interviewed for is exactly what I need right now. So naturally I was hoping for success, perfection if possible, so I made sure everything was ready before I went in: clothes laid out, alarm set, gas tank filled.

Needless to say, I am human, and mistakes happen. So here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind for your next big interview.

1. Don’t park three blocks away.

In fear I wouldn’t find parking near the Statehouse, I sought out the cheapest garage in the city and endured the hike. My shoes, a pair of nude heels, were not the best choice for this challenge and neither was my outfit, a black pencil skirt and a long sleeve blouse. By the time I walked through the third stop light, up the stone steps, through security, down a long corridor with two sets of glass doors, descended the escalator, turned a corner and entered the office, I was as moist as a tea cake left out in the sun. So if you are parking far from your destination, be sure to bring sneakers, a water bottle, and a towel. Or maybe just park closer.

2. Don’t wear new shoes.

I left my house in three inch heals, wobbling a bit as I walked to the car. It should have been a sign that my feet might be screaming at me by day’s end. But heels are a confidence booster, and I needed confidence. Step by step, as I walked from my car to the office, I began to regret my decision. But as soon as I got inside with all the dignitaries and passed through security like I belonged there, I was satisfied with my posh selection of shoes. So, do wear classy shoes, even heels, just make sure they aren’t new enough to give you blisters.

3. Arrive on time.

I approached the receptionist boldly. She was a woman in her late seventies blowing her nose with gumption. I stood there a long thirty seconds until I realized she probably couldn't see me. So I introduced myself and told her why I was there. Baffled and probably embarrassed that I caught her in the personal act of blowing her nose, she told me to take a seat. I am notorious for being early. The thought of being late is more petrifying than missing an appointment all together. Arriving early gives you a chance to compose yourself. To be fair to myself, I was early to this interview and perhaps too early, nevertheless my interviewer found me cross legged waiting out by the receptionist desk reading TheEconomist.

4. Don’t forget your resume.

It’s not so much that I forget my resume than that I was simply without a printer. A poor excuse but I believe bringing a hard copy is more a formality. In the age of technology, your interviewer has already read through your LinkedIn profile, seen your Facebook, and probably Googled your name. So I arrived with merely a legal pad and four ballpoint pens. In a quiet conference room, I sat across from my interviewers; both had a stack of paper in front of them containing my references, samples and yes, my resume. Email all documents needed before getting to your interview. It’s confirmation your documents will indeed make it from your computer to the hands of your interviewer. But bring a hard copy just in case; perhaps, they're printer isn't working.

5. Keep Your head up.

I left the office feeling blisters begin to swell my feet, and sweat to seep through my button up, and dehydration blurring my vision. I sighed in relief that it was over, ascended those long escalator stairs, wandered out of the first exit I saw and proceeded to look for my car.

Lastly, don’t forget where you parked when you’re sweaty, wearing uncomfortable shoes, and are so hungry you could eat an entire hot dog stand. But whatever happens in a job interview remember to keep you head up and put whatever mistakes you've made behind you.