Don't Be Fooled By The Nice Smile The First Week of The Semester

Every Roommate Has Their Flaws....and Then Some

11
hercampus.com

It doesn't take much for me to get along with someone. I try to keep an open mind when meeting new people, which is why I usually get along with all my roommates. However, this semester was a little different, when I opened my suite and was introduced to K.T.

Like most interactions in the beginning it was pleasant. We would talk every now and then, as well as help each other clean the suite and decorate. However in September, K.T and I both ended our relationships with our boyfriends. So if anything, that was the common event that solidified our friendship. I remember us going to parties together every weekend, and shopping away our sadness, as well as being the “no” we needed to hear every time we thought about picking up our exes phone calls. As the months passed K.T and I grew close, from sharing embarrassing stories, to simply being there for each other whenever something happened. However as time began to pass us by little quirks and incidents began to emerge.

K.T has never been afraid of being promiscuous, in fact she encourages it. Personally I find myself on a more conservative side due to my religious beliefs. However, whenever K.T noticed that I was stressed out instead of giving actual advice she would always tell me with a smile “Girl you just need some good (insert male private part here).” As funny as most thought her comment was, believe me when I tell you she really believes that sex can fix almost every problem you have. K.T will catch a body in a heartbeat and have no remorse for it even if they just met, simply because his stroke game isn't weak. I am not one to judge but insanity is defined as doing the same ting over and over again and expecting different results. This is where K.T and I first started to disagree. She will have sexual relations with a guy on campus and then get upset if he doesn't try to be her boyfriend or even try to pursue her in the upcoming weeks. No matter how much I try to tell her to come up with a new strategy she always responds with “you think you know everything.” And this is such a false statement because I genuinely only wanted the best for her.

So we would constantly argue because we never agree when it came to each others values. She thinks I'm a prude who doesn't do anything, and I think she barely has any values at all, which is why she is always getting her heart broken. I’m no life coach but I do know that if you give a guy everything he wants when you first meet him, then he most likely won’t cuff you because he hasn't had to work for anything. But besides that K.T and I have very different opinions when it comes to what is clean and what can be considered dirty.

I grew up with a military father who always told us that “everything has a place.” So I am pretty anal when it comes to my room, and on Sundays I like to mop the floors and clean the bathroom. Whereas K.T thinks that that is really obsessive and unnecessary. She is a hoarder when it comes to trash, she will literally put bags and bags of trash in front of the door, and wait until the last moment to take it out. And by last moment I mean when we get a notice that room inspections are coming up. So our suite will end up stinking to the point where it is hard to breathe. I can’t live like that so what happens is that I end up taking my trash out, as well as hers. She does this on purpose because she knows that I will take it out.

ANYWAY...

The good news is that it's a new academic year and I have an apartment. The roommates I have right now keep to themselves, and we all get along. The thing is I can be the nicest person you meet, but if there’s one thing I hate it’s when people take that for granted.