Working Hard

Just Because You Worked Hard Doesn’t Mean You Deserve An Extra Brownie

We don't deserve an extra reward every time we do something we should already be doing.

535
https://unsplash.com/photos/upY7FPFfMNo

I'm sure that your first thought on this article was that perhaps it was a euphemism for a more serious topic such as privilege or politics. However, I hate to disappoint, or maybe even allow you a breath of relief, but this article is genuinely about how we don't deserve an extra brownie because we've had a rough day or have worked extremely hard the present day.

I am the worst about believing that after a rough seven-hour shift at work where I have folded graphic-tees upon graphic tees, I deserve an extra brownie, or slice of pizza, or an extra night of putting off graduate school applications. This is inaccurate.

We love to use anything and everything as an excuse to obtain things we want but don't necessarily need. We don't need to go out with our friends on a Thursday night when we have classes the next day, but oh we're so "exhausted and stressed" from our class today. Somehow, we think that not staying in and doing work in lieu of having fun is going to help us feel less stressed when on Monday we have an exam?

The sad fact is that we are all primarily about to attend college, in college, young adults, or somewhere in the middle of this awkward phase of life. We are still kids who call our parents when our roommates haven't washed their dishes for two-weeks, yet old enough to make important decisions about our lives and live on our own. And we don't deserve a pat on the back every time we accomplish something "adult-like." We don't necessarily deserve to "reward" ourselves with fast food after work or to splurge in chocolate or your preferred guilty pleasure every single time we do something we should already be doing.

It's highly probable you shouldn't be eating that second or third brownie in the bathtub after work because you probably haven't been to the gym in a hot minute. And you also probably shouldn't be going out with your friends when you have an exam, seven-page paper due the following week, and two shifts at work over the weekend.

I'm not saying you shouldn't still do it every now and then- that would make me the biggest hypocrite.

I am just here today to call out myself, and others of you, who may do this same thing. Maybe being called out will make us more accountable. And maybe even if it doesn't make us more accountable, we'll be less likely to say how we "deserve" some indulgence and instead take responsibility that we are doing it because we just really want to.