To Those Who Are Scared To Be Themselves, You Shouldn’t Be

Be proud of who you are and do not shelter your beautiful soul from the world. Some may love you some may not but that is life.

339
Olivia Romano

As a society we are hesitant. Hesitant, to be undeniably us. Hesitant, to express our truest emotions. Hesitant, to show who we are in our truest form. What if I said that through this hesitation you are not only hindering yourself, but shielding those around you from truly getting to know you for you. What a shame that is.

The world wants to know who you are. Regardless of what the social normative says. Show me your tired, show me your happy, show me your sadness. Show the world what is you in your entirety.

I used to hesitate too. Hell, I still at times continue to hide. Hide from those trying to get to know me, I am nervous that they will not appreciate what they see. Opening up is a difficult yet weird experience. However, worth it.

High school was not an easy time for me. I would not say I had it made or had it awful, but like any teenager trying to figure themselves out; it still was not easy. Reflecting on my time before higher education, I would say I wasn't true to myself.

I kept to myself. I was friendly and people knew me, at least they thought so anyways. But my closest friends and family knew, the much deeper parts of me. That I genuinely can not stop laughing once I start, that I can imitate just about any cartoons voice, that if you needed a shoulder to cry on I am the girl to call.

Instead, people thought I was friendly. A little awkward but friendly. Any potential relationship that seemed new or uncertain I would run from. Because opening up to people is scary and they may not like what they see. They may get a sense for what my mind is like and not value my thoughts. Or worse, they may find me "weird".

Want to know what I have to say to that now? Screw that. Be who you are. So what if people do not love what makes you, you? Do you like you? Certainly there are days where I am not happy with who I am. I am impatient and by no means perfect, but as a whole… I would like to think I am pretty cool.

I am not longer scared to show people the funny, loud, sometimes annoying, sensitive, emotional, undeniable me. The difference? My own attitude. To the person reading this, do not hide who you are.

For one of two reasons. The first, you never know who will fall in love with all things you. By this I mean, you could find your soulmate, your best friend, your absolute go to. Just by sharing you're making the world a better place. Give the world a chance to know who you are, because we want to!

The second, do it for yourself. It is such a relief. It is such a beautiful feeling being open and honest about everything you are. Sure, people may sometimes think I am weird, I do some questionable things. But that is what makes me, me! Again why hide from the world, when you could add some color to it.

More importantly you deserve to be comfortable in your very own skin. Do not hesitate to share yourself with new people. Life is short, people value honesty, openness, above all else the truth. Show you in the truest form.

For those, who keep themselves sheltered from the world out of fear I am here to say I understand you. Irrational fears and all. But speaking from experience, I am proud to be open about my awkward, weird, funny self to those I know and do not know at all. Promise you, you will feel the same some day.

Allow for the world to meet the real you. They may love you or they may not, but at least you're honest. Introduce yourself in your entirety. Next time you introduce yourself to someone, don't hesitate. Share your soul, the world needs some color.