We All Judge Based Off Of Social Media But Shouldn't

You Don't Know The Real Me, You Only Know What I Show You On Social Media

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about... be kind."

604
Lexi Schroeder

I know quite a lot of people whether it's in real life or online. I have many friends on Facebook, a bunch of followers on Instagram and a good amount of followers on Twitter. Many of these friends or followers of mine I have only met a couple of times or no times at all.

I'm always updating my social media, whether it's a picture of me strutting in my going out outfit or updating my family and friends of something new and exciting that's happened in my life, like a new job or a good exam score. If you look at my social media, it looks like I live a pretty great life, and don't get me wrong because I do have a great life. I have an amazing boyfriend, awesome friends, a supportive family, great jobs and I'm always wearing something nice like my new Hunter boots or that new basketball jersey that just came out. And everyone can see that on my social media pages.

I'm not here to brag about the things I have or the people I have in it because my social media only shows a part of my life. It doesn't show what goes on behind the phone after the picture is posted.

At 20-years-old, I'd say I have a pretty okay life and I have worked extremely hard to get where I am today. Many people do not know what I have been through, only a handful of close friends.

My life was amazing when I was growing up. My parents owned their own business and everything was great. When The Great Recession hit, my dad lost his business which resulted in us losing our house. We were forced to move. I didn't mind since I was younger and getting a new place was an adventure for me... until we had to move again due to rent being too much.

My parents were really struggling at this point. I remember coming home from school one day and having all the electricity out. It was because my parents couldn't afford the bill that month. Next, I was looking out the window watching my mom's car get repossessed. I still didn't get what was going on since I was still so young.

My parents soon got divorced later when I was only in sixth grade. It took a huge toll on me (like it does to any kid when their parents split.) My parents never got along after this. I was constantly in between their fights. This was all new to me...switching houses, bringing things back and forth and getting used to two beds.

My mom was dealing with some medical issues at this point and could not hold a job due to it. We were considered homeless for two months. She couldn't even afford to buy me underwear and socks. My dad didn't have money to spare either. I can't even describe the pain and sorrow I felt for my mom. I was only thirteen so I was too young to get a job or help out financially and I ended up thinking that it was all my fault because she had to take care of me.

I went through high school working as hard as I could. After seeing how hard my parents struggled, I wanted to make sure that I could take care of myself so I didn't have to depend on them as much anymore. I then hit rock bottom my senior year of high school where I was part of a mentally abusive relationship. Long story short, I got diagnosed with anxiety and depression and it drove me to where I thought the only way out was to take my own life. But thankfully I realized that my life is worth so much more.

I'm now a sophomore in college with a good GPA and have a start to my dream job. My life has had its ups and downs, and it still does. Currently, when I'm not at school, I live with my mom at my grandparent's house. My mom doesn't own a house, she's in the middle of saving up to get a place for her and me. I didn't have health insurance for a period of time since my dad took me off of his and my mom had no benefits. Not many people take health insurance coverage into consideration and how much it really is needed, but worrying about how I'm going to pay for my medication really isn't something I should be worried about at age twenty.

I have three jobs currently while taking 17 credits this semester. As well as paying for all my own schooling, groceries, and car repairs. I buy all my own clothes, shoes, makeup. Pretty much everything, unless it's my birthday or my parents have some extra money.

So yes, my social media may give off the impression that I'm thriving at college with my expensive outfits and cool jobs. But I have truly worked so damn hard to get where I am today. I get tired, I get stressed because who wouldn't? My parents still don't get along which means I still sometimes have to communicate for both of them. And both of them still sometimes struggle financially and I hate to see it. Of course, I'm not saying I have it worse than some people, because I know I don't. I'm saying that a lot of us (including myself) base people off of what we see on social media. We all have problems, we all cry.

Don't be quick to judge. You only see what I choose to show you.