I'm Done With College, Now What? ​

I'm Done With College, Now What? ​

I never have to turn in another homework assignment, and I couldn't be more unsettled by that fact.

278
I'm Done With College, Now What? ​
Photo by Ben White on Unsplash

Right when I start to feel nostalgic about the fact that I'm almost done with school, I remember all the reasons why I'm so ready to graduate. If I have to deal with one more professor's sassy email or another counselor's unhelpful advice, I think I might never finish school.

Like Michael Scott so famously said, "I should have burned this place down when I had the chance."

No. but in all seriousness...now what?

For my entire life, I've gone to school, done my homework, dealt with the worst teachers, struggled through hours of studying, etc. And now it's all over. So now what?

It's not like high school gives you a guidebook for how to survive in college, and college definitely doesn't provide a "How to do Life for Dummies" book. And for years, I've been listening and following direction. But now, I'm on my own. There's no syllabus that guides you through life.

But in case you're wondering, I'm super prepared for the real world. I know how to find the area of a trapezoid and I know all the U.S. presidents in order. So what more can you really ask for from a teacher?

It's not like I need to know how to apply for a loan or establish credit or anything like that. Oh, wait.

All those pointless hours I had to spend taking Cornell notes when I could have been learning hmmmm I don't know...real life skills.

And now I've run out of time. Not only am I an adult in the sense that I'm over the age of eighteen, but now I'm about to enter real adulthood, where you can't even use college as an excuse anymore for your general stupidity.

I'm twenty-two which means I only have a few years left on my parent's insurance, you know...all that good dentist and medical stuff. I can only hope the next couple of years go by super slowly.

Because in just a couple short weeks, I'll be walking across the graduation stage, ready to be handed my diploma and a big ol' serving of financial instability along with the great unknown, because truly...no one knows exactly what their plan is after college. That is, unless you were destined to become your parents, follow their footsteps, and make no individual choices for yourself whatsoever. Just kidding...everyone has their own path...but know that if you're stuck after college and don't know your next move, you're in the majority and there's nothing wrong with you.

And for all you winners who know exactly what you'll be doing for the rest of your life...you're so cool.

I hope when I grow up, I can be just like you. Oops, too late, I'm already grown. I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that I don't have a set plan for post-graduation life, but that is 100% okay with me.

I used to stress about what I'd be doing after graduation constantly because the pressure surrounding you is overwhelming. Even though college is supposed to be a place for expressing individuality and developing unique skills, there's always an underlying feeling of competition. No one wants to fail and everyone wants to feel ready when they graduate as seniors.

Well, in my own personal situation, I didn't feel ready in the slightest. Yesterday I was signing up for my fall quarter classes for senior year and today I'm writing my announcements, letting my poor family know they have to pleasure of coming and sitting at my graduation ceremony for 3 hours just so they can listen to over 500 students' names be called one by one.

I can think back to when I was a kid growing up and how I wanted to be done with school, done with homework, done with test taking. I hated the idea that my teachers were labeling me and my success based on the scores I'd receive on a test. I'd hate the fact that I'd study until the late hours of the night for a single exam that would determine my college fate and ultimately the path I'd continue to follow for the rest of my life. But now, it's all over. And as stressful as it was, I'd do it again...or at least some of it.

Because now...now what?

I suppose I'll finish how I started...with a good old-fashioned quote from The Office because really, that show got me through school and college when nothing else could. So what better quote to pick than one that describes my entire academic experience:

"Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way" - Michael Scott