I'm An Equestrian, And Riding Horses And Flying Airplanes Are Oddly Similar

You would think that one thing that is alive and another that isn't are worlds apart. When really, both have spirit, it just depends on how you exemplify them.

215

Flying planes (in particular a Cessna) and riding horses are both kingly sports. You need a few hundred dollar bills to rub together to get somewhere. Granted, I have a good life and have money-stingy parents to help me... that's why I do what I what do.

Being aware and alert are two necessary requirements when you are controlling a being greater than yourself. Riding a horse requires you to be fit and alert. You must steer and look around as you conduct various signals to get where you want to go.

In a plane, it is the same. There are controls and signals you have to check while being aware of your surroundings. Weight plays a huge role. If the weight isn't distributed properly, and you make a mistake, you can get bucked off the horse or fall into a roll in the plane.

Pretty scary…

Your lower body is way more important than your upper body. With horses, you learn to not ride with the bit in the horse's mouth; it's not practical or comfortable for the horse. Using your lower leg and core is what really makes someone into a good rider, it's why the Mongolians can shoot their arrows on horseback while at a full gallop.

With planes, it is the same. The rudders at the bottom are used a lot more than the "steering wheel." You must sit upright and have good posture when looking at the horizon and your surroundings. When you are in a pinch, the rudders are the saving grace to help you turn gracefully, get out of a stall or help you balance out.

The same can be said when your heels are down in the stirrups and you guide the horse with your lower leg.

When a panicked situation arises, the first and second thing to do it to not panic.

In planes, there are a series of things to check, click and push.

With horses, you just maintain your balance and ride out the turbulence.

In both bad scenarios with these beings and objects, a person should continue flying and riding, know their surroundings and then finally, communicate what is going on.

If all else fails, you keep moving forward. You don't give up, back up or turn around when s*** hits the fan. Having discipline and the courage to continue to learn from your mistakes and not be discouraged will make someone become successful.

Of course, these ideas can be applied to almost any aspect of life. However, with planes and horses it is especially difficult because frustration and fear are just around the corner.

Another essential quality to have is to have a good attitude. Horses can read people's energies, whether it is fear, anger or even sadness. While with planes they don't have a spirit and can't read a person's emotions, but it can exemplify how that person is based on their actions.

Checking equipment and the status of a being or object is SO important. If the health and status of a horse or airplane is not in top condition, then there is a no-go to riding or flying. Checking and double checking the health and equipment can save your life and the being/object you are working with.

There are many similarities with planes and horses. Believing in yourself and having the willingness to learn can go a long way and apply to your pearl of wisdom in life.