Dear Diary: Help, I've Forgotten What Human Contact Is Like

I haven't been out of the house in almost five months, but here is what I'm learning.

187

It's just so sad. I am currently living in the state that has been named the new hot stop of the virus. I don't know how to feel.

Staying positive during these times is really hard, but again, I am trying.

That's it though, we just need to try. We need to try and find ways to stay happy and engaged during these times. I think one way to do that is by just enjoying the little things.

Some of the little things I've been enjoying are making whipped coffee every day. It's not much but every day I look forward to my coffee. I've been trying to get better at making the coffee foamier by trying different ways of adding water and sugar to the coffee mix. I know that's not that exciting, but hey, it's something.

Another small thing I've been enjoying is trying to find different ways of designing my Animal Crossing Island. I've gotten all my villagers and now it's just time for me to put all the houses in a neat grid format. I love the game because it also gives me the illusion that I am actually hanging out with my friends.

I've also been trying to practice some of my music skills. For the longest time I've been trying to play bar chords on my ukulele and guitar and for the first time this past week, I managed to play my first bar chord and it didn't sound that bad!

So yes, not having any human contact has been tough. I love hugs and I miss getting supportive hugs from my friends. The one thing that I used to always do during the summer was going ice skating with all my friends. Ice skating has been my way of distressing for so many years.

Not having the ability to go skating has taken a big chunk of my summer away. The way I've replaced it is by writing down 10 things that make me happy every day. It's not quite the rush of skating around the rink, but it does bring me a bit of happiness.