Why You Shouldn't Give Up

Why You Shouldn't Give Up

Take a break if you need it, but don't give up just yet.

47
Why You Shouldn't Give Up
Photo by Dyu - Ha on Unsplash

I know that fall semester was a long one, trust me I do. Covid-19 is still prominent on college campuses across the country, seasonal depression is upon us, flu season and omicron is among us, and the holiday stress grew and festered with every day that passed since Halloween. Another grueling semester is about to begin, but don't lose hope! It seems like everyone left assignments unsubmitted and tests incomplete last semester, but it's important to remember that this won't last forever. Whatever you're going through -- financial issues, family problems, slipping grades -- is temporary, and you're the only person who can stick around long enough to kick those problems in the ass.

1. Do it out of spite

Prove people wrong. Everyone who underestimates you should realize that you are a bad bitch and that you cannot be beaten by whatever problems are in your way. Yes, solving problems and putting in the work is hard, but it's always worth it to see the look of surprise on the faces of those who doubted you. Make anyone who dared to underestimate you eat their hearts out.

2. Look at the bigger picture

There's usually a solution right in front of you, it might just not be the one you want to hear. Sometimes you need to accept the fact that you won't always have the money for next semester's tuition or for the apartment that you wanted to rent next year. Maybe you need to take a semester off or to go to school part-time, but just because you took a temporary break doesn't mean you won't get to graduate. Don't throw in the towel just yet because I bet there's a way you can make things work.

3. Check in with a therapist first

Or, as I like to call them, "common sense filters". If your anxiety, depression, ADHD, BPD, etc. is starting to spiral out of control, then now would be a good time to go see a psychologist. Whatever you're going through can become manageable, but only if you get help.... professional help. Thankfully, many institutions offer free or discounted rates for therapy, so take advantage of all of the free sh*t that your school has to offer. It's better to work things out now than end up on a grippy sock vacation.

Hang in there!