Does Music Link To Happiness?

Does Music Link To Happiness?

Music's benefits traverse beyond any frontier.

26
Does Music Link To Happiness?
Psychologies

When I wake up in the morning, the very first thing I do is grab my phone and play music. As I get ready for the day and get dressed, I decide which station to play off of my Pandora playlist. Some days, I choose music that I am generally in the mood for, and other days, I choose music that is more lively than usual so that I can get motivated for the day.

Every since I was able to remember, music has been a very essential part of my life. Growing up with a family of musicians it was atypical not to hear music blasting in the house. Furthermore, music has had a very large impact in my life because it has served as a means of therapy during difficult times.

Here are my top three reasons why everyone should listen to music every day:

1. Music brings about physiological changes in our bodies.

Music therapists find their practices have satisfying results, whether it is a patient who underwent a traumatic accident, or someone going through depression. The reason for this is because when we listen to music, dopamine (known as the feel-good neurochemical) is released in our brains. Dopamine is also released when we eat and sleep because we are experiencing pleasure and/or reward. I could easily relate to this, because eating is my favorite time of the day, and it is so satisfying biting into the mini-doughnuts that reside in my kitchen. Just like I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy the pleasures of eating good food, I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy music.

In 2015, my grandmother passed away from kidney failure and other complications. I went through multiple phases of confusion and shock that she was actually gone. Although my life felt as if it was falling apart, I knew one thing in my life was certain, and that was music.

There is one song that I can recall that helped me during this period of grief. I am very grateful for music at times like these, because not only was my emotional state being effected positively, but so was my body and I was unaware of it.

2. Music taps into our emotions and serves as the release we need sometimes.

Psychologists will know that people tend to feel better when listening to music that counteracts their emotions. Studies show that listening to sad music actually makes you feel happy. This is because there is a sense of nostalgia, and most people feel happier when music takes them back to a certain memory or place. Studies also show listening to happy music undoubtedly makes you happy. This proves listening to any kind of music will have a positive impact regardless of what it is.

I know this is true from firsthand experience, because I am a dancer. On days that I feel stress or anxiety, music (happy or sad) never fails to make me feel at peace once again.

Some people that I know do not necessarily like to tap into their emotions, because they feel as if it makes them as weak. But their concerns are unjustified. Acknowledging how you feel about certain aspects in your day-to-day life is very therapeutic. There's nothing to lose when listening to songs that may make you feel more emotional than usual. Holding in any tension or ignoring how we feel can be potentially dangerous in the long run.

3. Music is the universal language that brings people together.

When listening to music, there is no boundary on what you can and can't listen to. Different cultures all over the world have different music styles and genres that have influenced each other.

Almost everyone enjoys music and it is good to know that music can have a powerful influence in bringing people together, which is what the world needs sometimes.