Does Laser Tattoo Removal Hurt

Does Laser Tattoo Removal Hurt

Tattoo

188
Does Laser Tattoo Removal Hurt

.

Does laser tattoo removal hurt? This is one of the most frequent questions that beauticians are asked about laser tattoo removal. The question seems simple enough, but there are a number of variables that determine whether or not the process is going to be painful for a person.

Unwanted tattoos can usually be completely removed using a laser device, but this requires multiple treatment sessions and unfortunately, you may suffer some pain caused by the laser. Of course, there are different methods used by your therapist to reduce this pain.

Laser Tattoo Removal Process

Tattooing is done by inserting ink into the second layer of the skin or "dermis". Just as your body recognizes wood chips as foreign objects and tries to remove them, ink is recognized as some foreign object and your body tries to eliminate it. The body's way of doing this is by sending white blood cells to remove the ink. The only problem is that the volume of ink is much larger than white blood cells, so things tend to work very slowly (which is why tattoos fade after several years).

Laser tattoo removal can be used to destroy these particles. As a result, the ink is absorbed into your bloodstream and removed from the body like other waste material. The number of treatment sessions required will depend on several factors, including the size of the tattoo, the location of the tattoo, the depth of the ink, the colours used, the complete removal or only the fading of the tattoo, and the strength of your body's lymphatic system to remove the small particles.

How Painful is Laser Tattoo Removal?

Laser tattoo removal can be painful. In this treatment method, a superficial wound is created on the skin, which may cause pain, bruising, swelling, or other discomforts during the treatment. When the high-energy laser beam hits the skin, many people liken it to being hit with a rubber band or being burned by a splash of hot oil. This pain might be a bit more pronounced during procedures such as eyebrow tattoo removal where you are dealing with a lot of nerves or eyeliner tattoo removal where you are operating on an overly sensitive area. However, many people say that the pain felt when removing a tattoo is almost equal to the pain you feel when getting one. In general, if you do not have a problem when getting a tattoo, you will not have a problem with laser tattoo removal either.

A range of factors such as the age of the tattoo, location, size, and type of ink and colours used can affect the number of treatment sessions and their duration. For example, black tattoos are easier to remove than coloured tattoos (requiring fewer treatment sessions and shorter duration). Since pain occurs only during treatment, people whose tattoos require longer treatment sessions will experience relatively more pain and discomfort.

Each person will be different in terms of pain tolerance and threshold. Certain parts of the body will also be more sensitive. Some people who have had their tattoos removed with a laser report that they felt no pain during the treatment, while others experience severe pain with each and every laser pulse.

How Long Will the Pain Last?

Patients will only experience pain and discomfort while they are being treated (when the laser is hitting their skin). Once the treatment is over, the pain or discomfort will also go away.

Pain Relief

There are ways to reduce pain and discomfort during a laser tattoo removal session. People can use a non-aspirin pain reliever such as acetaminophen before starting the treatment. There are other pain relief techniques that can be used, some of which are listed below:

Numbing Cream

Most beauty centers use some type of numbing cream to reduce pain and discomfort during laser tattoo removal. This cream is used at least half an hour before the treatment. Of course, the cream only slightly numbs the skin and does not completely remove the sensation.

These creams usually contain varying concentrations of prilocaine, benzocaine, lidocaine, or tetracaine. All these substances will have an anesthetic effect on the skin.

Cold Air Machine

You can find cold air machines at almost all advanced laser clinics. This method is one of the most effective ways to reduce pain with laser tattoo removal. This device blows cold air on the treated area and can be used before, during, and after the treatment.

Cold Compress

If something burns, it makes sense to relieve the burning sensation with chilly air. A cold compress or ice compress before and after the treatment is one of the great ways to reduce pain. The cold can numb the skin and reduce its discomfort to some during laser tattoo removal.

Lidocaine Injection

Lidocaine is a local anesthetic that is usually injected by plastic surgeons during surgery. These injections have an immediate effect, but you may need several depending on the size of the tattoo. These may not be performed in all clinics because they must be performed by a specialist.

5 Ways to Speed up Laser Tattoo Removal

Patients may need 6 to 12 treatment sessions. It is possible to speed up this process and strengthen the body's immune system to eliminate the tattoo faster. The laser breaks up the tattoo ink into particles that are destroyed by the body's immune response. As a result, people with a stronger immune system can usually remove their tattoos in less time. Below are 5 ways to remove the ink as quickly as possible by strengthening your immune system.

Quit Smoking

Doctors strongly advise that people quit smoking because it is harmful to the skin. Each cigarette with more than 4000 types of chemicals can cause major health problems such as lung cancer and heart disease. For laser tattoo removal, smoking weakens the immune system and reduces the effectiveness of each treatment session.

Smoking also has a direct negative effect on wound healing. This means the need for more treatment sessions and higher costs. In one study, smokers had 70% less tattoo removal success after 10 sessions of treatment compared to non-smokers.

Do Sports

Speeding up the tattoo removal process can be as simple as increasing your heart rate. Regular exercise can strengthen the immune system and blood circulation, as a result of which ink particles will be eliminated more quickly. People who add physical activity to their schedule during laser tattoo removal sessions will see faster results.

Avoid Sunlight

Avoiding exposure to sunlight can speed up the tattoo removal healing process. The reason for this is the weakening of the immune system against sunlight. In addition, patients who suffer from sunburn must wait until their skin is completely healed before being treated again, which will also increase the duration of their treatment.

If you plan to go outside, be sure to use quality sunscreen (creams with an SPF of over 30 and containing at least 7-10% zinc oxide) and cover your tattoo with UV-resistant clothing.

Stay Hydrated

Did you know that drinking enough water is a way to have healthy skin? Proper hydration will make the immune system work optimally and fight ink particles better. During the treatment, try to drink at least two liters of water a day and limit the consumption of alcohol and other water repellants.

Sleep

Faster laser tattoo removal can be as simple as getting more sleep at night. Lack of sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. So be sure to get enough sleep every night during your treatment (most adults need 7 to 9 hours of sleep).

Final Word

The therapist plans the laser tattoo removal sessions for each person individually. The method used to reduce pain, the length of the session, and the technique used will be different for each person. The feeling that each person will have towards laser tattoo removal will also differ. Here at Brilliant Skin Australia, we offer laser tattoo removal services catered to your individual needs using the latest and safest technology available.