Do You See What I See?

Do You See What I See?

Sight: (n). a thing that one sees or can be seen, to see or observe.
4

I see anger and aggression. I see love and compassion. I see hurt and brokenness. I see strength. I see humanity.

Sight is a gift we all take for granted. The ability to see another being is truly incredible. To see the emotion of someone when they are excited or sad is so beautiful. We neglect the beauty of the three toothed grin of the baby who just handed you their toy. The small things we skip over on a daily basis: sunsets, smiles, and messy hair. There is so much to learn, so much to feel.

Seeing is so much more than two cellular structures working together with nerves to form images. Seeing is the ability to love. To see the love and passion in a single mother's face as her baby boy walks across the stage at his college graduation. Seeing is sadness. The vision of a family being bombed in their home during dinner. Seeing is pain. The sight of a child in Syria being pulled from the rubble, not breathing. Seeing is hope. The hope in the young girl's eyes as her new family signs the adoption papers making her their's. Seeing is happiness. The pure joy in a couple's face when they are told the IVF treatment had been a success. Sight isn't just another sense. It is the ability to see into another person's world, to feel what they feel in that moment.

We can learn so much from a fragment of an image if we truly see it.

Let us open our eyes. Let's stare at the wonders of the world we all too often look over. Let us feel what others are feeling. Our hearts shall break and mend.

Open your eyes to the beauty around you. To the toddler toddling around the restaurant. See the pain happening overseas, and understand that you can do something to help. Feel the heat dissipating as the sun sets over the hillside. See your mother's laughter as she watches you balance a spoon on your sister's nose. Pay attention to the nurse as he walks out of the Emergency Room after his 72 hour shift. Watch the little girl's reaction as she sees her dad after months of him being overseas. See every emotion, every movement.

See each day in complete clarity and not just spots of what is "important."