7 Signs You Have Middle Child Syndrome

7 Signs You Have Middle Child Syndrome

There are pros and cons to being the middle child.

5565
7 Signs You Have Middle Child Syndrome
Mic

Have you ever heard of middle child syndrome? If you are or know someone who is the middle child, you probably have. This (probably not so scientific) syndrome is the feeling of exclusion of a middle child due to the attention of the parents primarily on the older and younger siblings. In other words, your younger and older siblings get all the attention and you seem to fall to the wayside. While I only suffer a very minor case of middle child syndrome (thanks for the attention, mom!), others are not so lucky. Here are some signs that you may be suffering from middle child syndrome.

1. You are constantly competing for attention with your older and younger sibling

2. You are constantly losing the competition for attention against your older and younger sibling

Middle kids get no love

3. You don't get to enjoy the perks of being the oldest sibling (ie telling your younger siblings what to do)

4. You don't get to enjoy any of the perks of being the "baby" of the family

I was never allowed to do anything my older sister did to me to my little sister. My older sister would almost drown me with how rough she would play with me in the pool. I got in trouble one time for splashing my little sister at the pool...

5. Never winning any arguments because your older sibling is "oldest and knows more" or your younger sibling because "you shouldn't start arguments with the 'baby'"

6. Having to go the extra mile to receive the same amount of recognition as your siblings

And sometimes even that doesn't work

7. Being the peacemaker between your siblings

However, there are many perks to being the middle child. I have come to love my position in my family, and have found there are many things that make me unique. For example...

1. You are the most dependable child in the family

2. Your parents are way more relaxed in their rules with you

My older and younger sister tend to be more on the "wild" side. I am definitely the more laid back kid. That meant less rules I had to follow

3. You development a strong sense of independence

4. You are a problem solver

You have to be creative to survive living as the middle child

5. You have an older sibling to look up to

Thank you for showing me how to be a good big sister

6. You have the ability to inspire your younger sibling

Thank you for helping me develop my leadership skills

7. You are resilient and strong

Overall, I am very happy with being the middle child. It has not always been easy, but it has definitely influenced for the better the person I am today. I am a skilled problem solver because I had two siblings to deal with. I became a better listener because there were two people trusting their secrets to me. I had the ability to learn how to be a leader and a follower at the same time.

Don't underestimate the abilities of the middle kids!