Do Not Tell Me How to Feel About My Body

Only I Can Determine How I Feel About Myself

26
Ricka Sibert

Please, please do not try to tell me how to feel about my body. There have been so many times that people have tried to tell me how I should feel about my body. It is easy for someone else to say how I should feel. When I complain about feeling "fat," you do not get to tell me not to feel like that. I am allowed to feel bloated for a day.

If I am talking about how proud I am of one of my accomplishments, you do not get to downgrade my accomplishment with something of yours. Just because things do not work out for you once in a while does not mean that what I did is not worth being proud of. I am sorry that your one pair of jeans does not fit you today, but my old pair from freshman year of high school fits me! I am happy about this and I have every right to be.

You do not get to assume my eating habits because of how I look--you do not know me. I love salad. I love vegetables. I never drink pop and I do not like caffeine. I am in good shape, even if I may not look like it. I eat healthy. I cannot help it if my body is not catching up with my eating habits, but you must believe me.

You also do not get to assume you understand my amount of physical activity that I have done. No, I have never participated in a school sport, but I did dance for thirteen years. I also keep up an active lifestyle in a variety of ways. Do not assume because I am on the heavier-side that I am lazy.

You do not know me; therefore, you do not get to judge me based on a quick assessment. I am so much more than what I look. I am full of emotions, in which I can control, not anyone else.

There was a point where I looked at myself in the mirror and decided that I want to change. I have worked very hard, and for that, I am the only one who gets to control how I feel.

I am allowed to look at my progress and I am allowed to look at my failures. I am allowed to feel however I want to feel about my body because it is mine.