My Decision To Abstain From Alcohol Doesn't Make Me A Prude

My Decision To Abstain From Alcohol Doesn't Make Me 'A Prude,' I Simply Refuse To Let Liquor Run My Life

I watched as addiction took control of my relatives, and I will NOT be the next family alcoholic.

381

Unlike a lot of people my age, I have absolutely no desire to drink. It is not something that sounds appealing to me. And in today's society, that may make me sound like a prude.

But being completely and utterly honest here, I do not want to drink. I don't want to drink at a party, or for my 21st, or for the holidays, or for a hard day.

I watched the way my dad drank as I grew up.

I watched my aunt get drunk.

I knew my great-grandfather as the angry drunk.

Addiction runs in my family, and I watched as alcohol very clearly took over the lives of my relatives.

I refuse to let that affect me, too.

I'll break this generational curse.

I will NOT be the next family alcoholic.

My kids will not see me drink. I will always stay fully aware of my actions. I will set a good example for my family.

I am not a prude. I'm just aware of the addictive genes in my family, and I refuse to let an addiction to something like alcohol take control of me.