Do More Things Alone

Do More Things Alone

And network like crazy.

25
Do More Things Alone
The Daily Quotes

I am fairly sure that everyone has used the "I don't know anyone going" excuse at one point or another in life. For years, I would use this as an excuse to not go to something, regardless of if I was actually interested in going or not. Using this excuse held me back. Since I've graduated college, I've had so many amazing experiences because I said "yes" and committed to things based on my interests instead of how many of my friends would be there. I think everyone should base their attendance at events on this- yourself. Do you want to go to your school's student council meeting but none of your friends do? Go. It doesn't matter if you don't know anyone going. If there is something you want to be involved in, you should make the decision to go by yourself.

Don't base a decision off of anyone else, or you will never do everything you truly want to. It can be scary and you might get nervous- but it is so worth it. Just go up to someone say hi, smile, and introduce yourself. I've made so many friends with these three simple steps. I have gone to photo shoots, school events, volunteering opportunities and more without knowing anyone pre-hand. And I have met so many amazing people.

The most recent event I flew solo on was to volunteer for Sacramento Fashion Week. I didn't know anyone else who was involved in this and was unfamiliar with all of the venues, but it was by far the best volunteer opportunity I have ever gotten. As an aspiring fashion designer, I couldn't have picked a better event to be a part of. I am now in contact with event coordinators, stylists, and other fashion-oriented college students. I also introduced myself to local boutique owners and a young, up and coming fashion designer. All of these people were so kind and helpful, and I hope to stay in contact with them.

I am really realizing the power of networking. It can seem intimidating to just go up to someone and introduce yourself but it really makes a difference, not just in the fashion industry but in all aspects of life. You never know where you might see these people again, or who will be hiring in the future. And the more you go out alone and talk to people, the easier and more comfortable you will become. So go out there, smile and do some major networking alone. You got this!