DO IT. JUST DO IT.

DO IT. JUST DO IT.

Shia LaBeouf knew what he was talking about.

48
DO IT. JUST DO IT.

I don’t know about you, but I have a plan. Well, I actually have a lot of plans. I plan on one day achieving an amazing grade point average, I plan on making moves to lock in that perfect internship, and I plan on someday working up the courage to talk to the guy I’ve had a crush on since my first day of college. I plan on cleaning out my car, I plan on calling my grandpa, and I plan on writing dozens of articles that will hopefully reach the people that need to hear what I have to say. My to do list keeps growing, and every day I feel as though I think of something else I want to achieve in the short-term to solidify my ever so dreamy long term. I know the person I want to be, I know the lifestyle I want to live, and I know exactly how to reach my goals, but there is just one thing standing in my way: ME.

Do you ever feel like you have an idea or goal in mind and the only thing left to do is actually get up and do it? I find myself in this situation all the time. I make these elaborate and sometimes viciously simplistic plans that I can’t seem to find the motivation to carry out. Now, some may say that the root of this is fear, which I’ll admit is valid in some cases. This is the age-old case of “no news is good news." If nothing changes, nothing can go wrong, and if nothing goes wrong, then you get to live out another day of smooth sailing.

Consistency is good, right? No, not here. Not when we are talking about moving forward, improving, and making moves. Consistency is not good when we are talking about a little thing called LIFE because consistency transforms into complacency and that’s just plain old laziness.

It’s bad. We know it’s bad, so why am I sitting here talking about it? Why am I wasting my time typing up a sob story about how I can never get anything done when I could be doing the things I need to get done instead of sitting here complaining? **Takes deep breath after long run-on sentence** Aside from hoping that one day someone will read something I write and think to themselves, “ME TOO!”, we have discovered the root of the problem my friends. We live in a society where complaining about our tribulations is a lot easier than solving them.

What if, okay bear with me because I know this is crazy, what if we stopped complaining and started solving our problems? What if instead of planning, we started doing? What if right after you read this post, you actually do something you have intended to do for a long time? I think we could change the world.

Okay, I got a little ahead of myself there, but I think we could at least change our own world. Anyone can come up with an idea, but it takes a driven, unique and outstanding person to put his or her ideas into action. I’m sure there were billions of people who thought, “Hey, I wish I could cover myself with a blanket but still be able to move my arms to reach things or hold books. Maybe I’ll invent that one day!” You know the only thinker that actually benefitted from that thought is Scott Boilen, the inventor of the Snuggie who has made over 200 million dollars from turning a simple plan into a reality.

I’m not saying that this advice is going to turn you into a millionaire, but if your plans are good, executing them could make you feel like a million dollars. (Cheesy but effective, am I right?)

So ask yourself, “What is holding me back? What is keeping me from making the next move in my life?” If you can’t find an answer to this question, I can almost guarantee that you’ll discover it by looking at the upside down reflection in your cereal spoon tomorrow morning. Good luck my trusty readers, until next time.