What It's Like Having A DJ Dad

What It's Like Having A DJ Dad

We sometimes forget to appreciate the passions of our fathers.

22
What It's Like Having A DJ Dad
Turntable History

I feel like there are too many dads out there who don't get enough recognition for the work they put into their passions (other than their children and providing for their families). Or maybe they just feel like their work is under-appreciated. So in honor of this Father's Day, and with the help of my sister, I'd like to present a few points on what it's like having a DJ dad, how it has affected our lives and how much we appreciate him and the work he puts into his passion for music.

There's music for everything.

Literally everything. There's cleaning music, workout music, shower music, dance music, porch music, dinner music, game music, cooking music, etc. Some of this music may be the same or similar to multiple categories, but the point is, you have music for every activity. Music makes every activity fun, or at least bearable.

Music is always loud.

This one goes hand in hand with the last point. Since there's music for everything, the music has to be loud at all times. Even at 2 a.m. Even at noon when no one is awake from a late night. Loud is the only volume. Especially when it's time for practice. Yes, professional DJs still practice (or they should), which brings me to my next point.

Practice can be at any given time night or day.

There have been times that I would be woken up late at night because Dad was practicing just because or for an upcoming gig. He'll practice before we're awake, before we eat, after we eat, when we're supposed to be in bed for the night, etc. Although it can get very annoying, especially if it wakes you from a nice nap, it's for a good cause. It's extra money to support us and it's fun for him. We're happy that Dad is so in love with music, but we would appreciate the occasional quiet time, too. Seeing my dad having fun with something that seems annoying and time-consuming to me, but fun to him showed me (and hopefully my sister) that you should invest in what you love to do, not what others want you to do. Practice shouldn't be boring or something you dread, you should want to better yourself at what you love doing.

We don't have to hire a DJ for a party.

One of the best things about having a DJ dad is already having a DJ for birthday parties, Halloween parties, get togethers, whatever. And you don't have to bug him with what you want him to play because he already knows! It's great not having to pay for a DJ, but my mom, my sister and I aren't the only ones that get to enjoy free entertainment, our close friends do too!

Our playlists will always be dope.

If you've seen a DJ's laptop, then you know they have a wide variety of music (which I will elaborate on in the next point). And since my dad has been doing this for quite some time, his music selection is virtually endless, and constantly expanding. When I did use an MP3 player, I had music from before I was born up until 2009 or so. As of right now, there probably isn't a song you can name that is not in his library. Seriously. Quiz me. He'll have it.

A wide variety of music choices.

Growing up listening to music that was popular when my parents were teenagers to popular music of today's time was (and still is) an interesting experience. Since I only listened rather than asking the titles, I probably couldn't name older songs, but I would recognize the music or know the lyrics. My friends' parents would be surprised and almost proud that I knew popular music from decades ago, while other people my age would think I was weird for it. Being familiar with the older music as well as music across all genres exposes you to many different cultures and past events. Music reflects the time period; it reveals struggles and successes, shines a light on love and hate and basically tells history.

Mixtapes are still a thing.

Even if we don't use tapes anymore, mixtapes are definitely still around, or at least for my family they are. Though technically I guess you would call them CD mixes, we still refer to them as mixtapes. Just sounds better. But in the world of technology where we rely on our phones for everything, sometimes relying on your phone for music isn't an option. Like for long car rides, or places you won't have service (and don't want to pay for premium accounts). Road trips are better with music, but you wouldn't want to kill your phone battery and lose not just your music, but everything else you rely on your phone for, right? CDs don't die, so what's better to use than personalized CDs with all of your favorite music and no commercials?

So Dad, thank you for all the hard work you've done to support our family. Thank you for not giving up on your passion for music. Thank you for shaping my life with music. I love you. Happy (now late) Father's Day!