DIY Projects for your Dorm Room

DIY Projects for your Dorm Room

7 ways to make yourself feel like an accomplished interior designer the easy way.

15
DIY Projects for your Dorm Room
Sis.sch.id

Whether you are getting ready to move into a dorm as a freshman and are contemplating how to personalize your closet of a room or your moving into a suite style apartment and excited for more accent rugs and pillows here are a few Do It Yourself projects that are easy and adorable.

1. Hanging Jewelry Organizer

I quickly put this together the summer before my freshman year of college because if you know me then you know I love accessories and I needed a good amount of storage for my necklaces. I took an old bulletin board that I had since I was little and put matching fabric on it by tucking the fabric underneath the edges. I then found matching push pins and used those to hang the fabric from. Lucky for me, my grandmother is an artists and had painted flowers on it years ago. Although I didn't end up using this the whole year last year I plan on taking it this year when I have a little more space.

2. Hanging Tassle Banner

So I may have cheated when I did this project because I purchased tissue tassle kits from Target in the colors that I wanted. They are about $5 and found in the party section. I think this project is pretty self explanatory and turns out really cute. You can either hang letters across the tassles or pictures or leave it alone.

3. Vases

Take any glass bottle and wash it first. I’ve seen this done with any size bottle from Wine bottles or coke bottles to the little starbucks frappucinos you can buy at the grocery store. Once they are clean you pout paint on the inside of the bottle and make sure it covers all sides. Turn the bottle upside down to let the excess paint drip out. You will want to do this over a surface you don’t mind getting dirty. I’ve also seen this project done with spray painting the outside of the bottle instead of painting the inside. This summer I have become a fan of spray paint because it is quick and easy so I would probably skip the other steps and go for the spray paint. Home Depot has a great selection but Michaels sells small bottles of spray paint.

4. Decorated Chargers

Everyone has a charger for their phone and probably other electronics as well. I found it easiest to put washer tape over your charger cube so that you know which one is yours.

5. Personalized Room Decoration- Monogram

I love this idea to put on your door with just you and your roomate's first initial. You can either paint the canvas or use fabric to wrap around it. Same goes for the letter. I suggest buying the canvases and a fabric quarter from Walmart.

6. Home State Picture

This is perfect for those who want to be creative but need a simple project. Paint a canvas any color that you want. Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper in the shape of your home state and glue it on to the canvas once the canvas has had time to dry. I like the glitter paper and the paper that has metallic accents on it.

7. Headboard for a twin bed

Last but not least, headboards are the perfect addition to any dorm room and are super easy to make. You will need 3 x 3.5 feet of plywood, 1.5 yards of fabric, a bag of foam from Joanne's or Michaels that can be pieced together to cover the plywood and a staple gun. First I stapled the foam to the plywood. Once I was pleased with the way that looked and felt I stapled the fabric over both the plywood and foam. You should have enough fabric to just cover the plywood and foam. I took my time with this last step to make sure that the pattern was straight but if you are using a solid color just staple away.

Although move in day is about two months away I am already planning much more than my bedding. The day me and my roommate chose a color scheme was such a happy day because it meant we could start shopping. I wish those with creative minds peace this summer as they are running wild to find the perfect decor items. For those who could care less I hope that you have a roommate that does care. I hope you enjoyed these sneak peaks at my room.