Being a Division 3 Athlete

Being a Division 3 Athlete

We do it because we love it not because we have to!

42
Being a Division 3 Athlete
http://roidvisor.com/getting-away-steroid-use-ncaa-division-iii-sports-programs-piece-cake/

As a Division III athlete, I have heard a lot of criticism in my time. Most of them false ideas stemming from what people assume about college sports in general, especially in Division III.

There was one statement that has really stuck with me and made me really think about what it means to be a Division III athlete.

One day while I was chatting with a friend about being on the Track team, I was rudely interrupted by someone saying, “You do Division III college track, anyone can do it, it’s easy”. Her words hurt, I didn’t understand how someone could just put me down like that.

After the fact I thought about how she was right, anyone is welcome to come try out for our team, but I will say by no means is it easy.

Anyone in college sports can agree with me that nothing we do is easy, but Division III stands out from the other divisions, because we don’t do the sport because we have to or because we have a scholarship. We don’t get perks, or any special treatment, maybe a free T-shirt here and there. We participate in Division III sports simply because we love it.

I’m going to tell you right now: DIII doesn’t give out any scholarships, it is part of its philosophy. Its slogan states; Discover, Develop, Dedicate. And I can honestly say with my time as a DIII athlete I have excelled in all three areas, and I have watched my teammates do the same.

Discover: As I have made my way through my athletic program, I have found a drive within myself to push myself to new limits and train hard, and to never give up.

Develop: I have developed as a person and have grown into the person I want to be and I am in a place in my life I’d never thought I’d be.

Dedicate: I along with everyone I know in athletics have dedicated many hours, days, months, and years into our sport. From the 6:30 a.m. work outs to the 7 p.m. practice, we also juggle school, friends, and other organizations into an already hectic life. Being part of a team has taught me how to dedicate myself to something much bigger than me.

Coming out of high school I never even dreamed about being a college athlete. Division III sports has really helped me as a person and I would not be where I am today without the experience of being an athlete.

So yes anyone can do Division II sports, but by no means is it easy. The most important fact to remember is we do it because we love it.