Disney's Most Underrated Movies

Disney's Most Underrated Movies

These are the hidden gems of the Disney collection.

50
Disney's Most Underrated Movies

Disney has produced some bombshells: Cinderella, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, and now Frozen. They are known for their strong heroes and heroines, and the catchy tunes throughout the film. Everyone can say they've seen the Disney "classics" and could basically repeat the dialogue verbatim to you ("This is awkward. Not you're awkward but just because we're - I'm awkward, you're gorgeous - wait what?") But what about the Disney movies that you may not have heard of? These hidden gems could be considered the "B" list of Disney's collection, but I beg to differ. Each of these films has so much to offer, and are severely underrated. So I challenge you: Find these movies (I own several, you're welcome), watch them, and discover the marvel of them. I promise you won't regret it.

1. "Brother Bear" - 2003

This is the story of a man, the youngest of three brothers, who needed a new perspective on family and brotherhood.....so spirits turned him into a bear. With music masterfully composed and performed by Phil Collins, Brother Bear tugs on the heart strings and reminds you that family doesn't always equal blood relation. "Tell everybody I'm on my way, new friends and new places to see."

2. "Pete's Dragon" - 1977

Pete's Dragon teaches us about acceptance and finding your place in the world, which can be especially difficult when you are an invisible dragon named Elliot. But this heartwarming tale of a young boy Pete and his best friend, the dragon Elliot, will make you want to hug your best friend. "I'll be your candle on the water...."

3. "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" - 1971

Angela Lansbury slays it as a witch-in-training in England during the height of WW2, who cares for three young, displaced children. Through excellent songs and some of the best dance breaks I've seen, our hearts are captured and brought on adventures all over in a quest to find something that's lost. "You must face the age of not believing, doubting everything you ever knew. Until at last you start believing there's something wonderful in you."

4. "The Great Mouse Detective" - 1986

The Great Mouse Detective takes classic stories of Sherlock Holmes and plays them out through the eyes and tails of a group of mice living in England. Fighting against the evil Ratigan to save the day, Basil, the detective, learns about himself and what glory means. "There's always a chance, Doctor, as long as one can think."

5. "Oliver and Company" - 1988

Oliver is a little kitten in a big city - New York City, to be exact. He must learn to navigate on his own, until he is adopted by the coolest gang of strays you'll ever find. Based on Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, this twist on the classic tale will make you smile. "Why should I worry? Why should I care? I may not have a dime but I got street savoir-faire."

There are countless others to be named, like Fox and the Hound, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Rescuers, A Bug's Life, Angels in the Outfield, Escape to Witch Mountain, the list goes on. Have one to add? I want to hear it! There are plenty of excellent underrated Disney films out there!