FastPass Disneyland With These Life-Saving Tips
Travel

Survive The Holiday Season At Disneyland With These 7 Life-Saving Tips

You and your feet can thank me later.

58
Adrienne Kalehuawehe

For as long as I can remember, my family and I have done Disneyland one way and one way only: stay at the park from opening to closing.

My friends always say that we're crazy because that's a full sixteen hour day at the park, not including the extra hour we take to get ready and eat breakfast. When I invited my boyfriend to come with us on our family trip to Disneyland, he nearly died of exhaustion and was running a fever by the time night fell because he wasn't used to being at the park for so long (he and his family go to the park for a bit, go back to the hotel to rest, and then return to the park later in the day).

In light of the holiday season where the park has just finished putting up winter decorations, I put together a few tips to help you enjoy the happiest place on Earth!

Comfort Over Cuteness

Usually, I am all for taking one for the team and sacrificing comfort for the cuteness of my outfit, but after knowing how much I regret that decision halfway through the day of walking around Disneyland, I strongly recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing.

My main issue is usually wearing cute booties or strappy sandals for the sake of cute photo ops, but unless you can handle your feet screaming at you for wearing uncomfortable shoes, do yourself a favor and wear something that your feet will love you for like a pair of sneakers with gel-padding or cushioning in them that make being on your feet all day more bearable.

Packing Light

You're gonna be at the park all day so you may want to reconsider the big backpack you're bringing filled with things you may or may not need. If you're willing to lug around that big bag all day, then as Lumière says, "be our guest," but know that it may be a pain to store on rides, especially on roller coaster rides like Space Mountain and rides that increase your chances of getting wet like Splash Mountain.

I found that alternatives to a big backpack include carrying a fanny pack or mini backpack filled only with essentials and renting a locker on Main Street near the entrance of the park for things you don't want to carry like a coat in the winter time during the day.

Coming In Prepared

It doesn't hurt to pack a few granola bars to hold you over for meals or bring your hydroflask so that you don't spend too much money on water bottles throughout the day! When I went to the park recently, I made sure my hydroflask was empty, and instead of carrying it in my hand, I simply strung it around my fanny pack strap.

You can ask for ice at any of the snack carts and fill it up at the water fountains around the park. I also like to pack a first aid kit with band-aids, Neosporin, Dramamine, allergy pills, nasal spray, Wet Wipes, tissues, stomach relief pills, and ibuprofen (it's a lot, but you can never be too prepared).

For water rides, you may want to pack a Ziploc baggie to put your phone and battery pack in (battery packs are good for charging your phone if your battery life isn't the best, cough cough, Apple) so they don't get wet.

Eating Done Right

If you know ahead of time that you're going to Disneyland, you can book reservations online for restaurants you want to eat at like the Blue Bayou restaurant inside Pirates of the Carribean, Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square, and Carnation Cafe on Main Street USA!

Sometimes restaurants will be booked out in advance, so be sure to make your reservation before all the spots fill up! Also, don't forget to try all the tasty snacks like the Dole Whip, Grey Stuff, and Mickey Beignets!

Optimizing The Disneyland App

The Disneyland App is your best friend for your day at Disneyland.

It allows you to see the wait times for the rides, whether there is a ride that is closed that you won't be able to ride, where all the characters are and what time they're there until, the various places to eat around the park including snack carts, and the times for the different shows that the park has to offer! If you've made reservations or FastPassed a ride, it will tell you what time your reservation is at and your FastPass return time.

Took pictures with characters using the Disney Photopass? You'll be able to see it through the app in no time! A neat thing that is also available on the Disneyland App is the Disney MaxPass. You'll want everyone in your party to download the Disneyland app to use this feature because it allows you to FastPass rides with the touch of a button! It does cost a little extra money, but it's totally worth it.

Having A Game Plan

Going into the park, you're going to want a game plan. Lines for rides can get long pretty fast, so knowing what rides you want to FastPass, what rides filter through their lines the quickest, what rides you can eliminate from your "must ride" list, and the route you want to take around the park will play a major role in how much you are able to fit into your day at Disneyland! Just don't forget to leave room in your itinerary for meals, bathroom breaks, and meeting characters!

Enjoy

Last but not least, enjoy your time at Disneyland! It's no fun if you're pouty or arguing, after all, you're at the happiest place on Earth! So enjoy the rides, take lots of pictures, and have a zip-a-dee-doo-da day!