How Disney Ruined My View Of Reality

How Disney Ruined My View Of Reality

Disney, you left me hanging when it came to reality.

30
How Disney Ruined My View Of Reality
Google

Growing up, I watched Disney princess movies almost every day. I still watch them occasionally with my 3-year-old niece or when I want to re-live a piece of my childhood. My favorite princess movie was "Aladdin." Jasmine was, and still is, my favorite princess because she lived in the coolest castle and had a pet tiger. When I was little, I thought the princess movies would come true. I thought I was going to grow up to be a princess and live in a world where animals talked. Sadly, I found out that there were a few things I would never get in my non-Disney world.

1. My hair would never be flawless.

Let’s face it, these girls were born with hair made by gods. I still have an unreal expectation of how my hair should look. All I ever wanted was for my hair to be long and have massive volume like Ariel. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

2. I would not fall in love with one glance at a boy.

True love didn’t just come to me the first time I looked at a boy like I was expecting. Princesses made falling in love look so easy. Why couldn’t this happen for me?

3. My pet side kick could never be a tiger.

There were multiple things that prevented me from getting a tiger. Mostly the fact that it is illegal to own a tiger. I had to stick with my side kick being a dog. This is the one thing I wish Disney wouldn’t have gotten my hopes up for.

4. My fairy godmothers will never come.

Cinderella had a fairy god mother and Sleeping Beauty had three, so naturally I thought I would have them. Well they never came and made me pretty dresses or turned a pumpkin into a carriage. Ill never get to see what my fairy got mothers magic could have done for me.

5. Falling gracefully is not a thing.

Princesses made everything look so graceful. If they fell over it wasn't a problem because they were somehow able to pull it off with no scraps of bruises. When I fell it was not so graceful. I was the girl who would come up with two scraped knees and a bruised chin.

6. Animals won’t ever talk or sing.

If Cinderella could have mice that would talk to her I should be able to talk to my dog. I waited for years to hear my pets talk. People probably thought I was crazy when I would try and talk to my pets, but I really did think that animals could talk.

7. I would never get to wear fancy dresses every day.

Princesses had the big ball gowns and they got to wear them every day. I grew up in the wrong time where it is not socially acceptable to wear a big fancy ball gown every day. Watching these movies growing up I didn’t understand that the movies took place in the past. I took me a while to understand why my wardrobe couldn’t look like the princesses.

8. I would never become a princess.

Sadly, no matter how hard I try, I will never become a princess. I have slowly accepted the fact that my parents are normal people and are not a king and queen. However, I am still holding out on my dream to be Elsa and become queen.

Even though I will never become a princess or live in a world where animals sing with me, I will continue watching Disney movies so my inner child can be happy.