21 Things I Noticed Within My First 24 Hours In Switzerland That Are Different From America

This place is beautiful and you should definitely add it to your travel bucket list.

107

Throughout my life, I have done a lot of traveling throughout the U.S. and have finally completed the quest of visiting all 50 states.

On the contrary, one thing that I want to do more of is probably a given... it is to travel to other countries as well. So, here I am, making strides toward this goal. My first trip alone was to Switzerland and I loved every minute of it.

Here are some of the things I immediately noticed that are different from what I'm used to:

1. The meat does not come all in one piece.

2. The road signs are in km, not mph.

3. Air Conditioning is not necessary.

4. There are no huge highways...

Yeah, those eight-lane roads that you're used to--you won't find those here.

5. There are farms on farms... on farms.

And to put it short, they're quite intricate and beautifully maintained. They have a lot of history.

6. Everyone is incredibly trusting... because no one is out to get each other/take each other's stuff.

Bikers will leave their helmets with their bikes and people will walk around with their purses wide open.

7. There are way more bikes and motorcycles because the trips are short, public transportation is reliable/efficient, and gas is expensive.

8. To add to that, the vehicles all seem to be short in both their height and width.

And to add to that even more, there are NO trucks...

9. Dogs are welcome everywhere... and I mean everywhere.

Everyone is so welcoming and accepting of pets and if bringing your pup means you will have a better time, so be it.

10. The semis aren't overbearingly loud and aggressive.

11. They have different types of schools - boarding schools, international schools, public schools.

And to add to that, the kids walk to school. They are taught how to safely get to their school at a very young age and it's honestly quite impressive.

12. The landscapes are breathtaking.

13. There is a lot of older architecture - which is very underrated.

14. The windows don't have screens.

15. Fitness is a major component of life.

16. Boys wear tighter clothes and girls wear loose clothes that fit but aren't entirely revealing when it comes to their hourglass figure.

17. People dress like they are proud of themselves and their bodies. Quiet confidence is seen everywhere.

18. They have SOS boxes on the sides of the roads.

19. No cop cars are used for pulling people over, it's all done electronically.

And you find out after the fact.

20. The police/ambulance sirens are different.

They sound like a normal siren, but when the batteries are almost out. That's my best description... so you should probably just listen.

21. Tattoos are more accepted here.