There's A Difference Between Being Blunt And Being Rude

Stop hiding your poor manners behind a word.
11062

If there’s one thing that makes my blood boil, it’s constant, unapologetic bitchiness.

It’s people who say mean or hurtful things and don’t care how it affects other people. They don’t care if other people take offense to what they say; they just want to be on top and make their power known.

What’s even more obnoxious than this kind of person is one who makes excuses for their behavior to establish more dominance. The most common one: “I’m just blunt.”

“Blunt” is a word people most commonly use to describe themselves if they speak their mind without hesitation. It’s how people explain their straightforwardness. They usually take great pride in this trait. What many of these people don’t realize – or even choose not to accept – is that it’s not an acceptable excuse for rudeness.

There is a huge difference between being blunt and mean. Bluntness is not being afraid to be straightforward about something, while still being considerate of the other person’s feelings. It’s not beating around the bush with what you want to say.

Being blunt does not mean being overtly inconsiderate. If you say something without considering how it will affect another person – or say it and not care – then you’re not being blunt; you're just mean. Even if it’s not sugarcoated, “bluntness” is not the way to excuse disrespect.

No matter who you talk to, it’s important to be respectful. This trait is pushed from a young age, but somewhere along the way, people seem to forget what it actually means. They believe they can stop being respectful simply because they’re around people they know. Some will stop being respectful because they don’t like a person or the way they’re being treated.

This lack of respect means not considering how one’s actions or words affect another person. It means using attitude and statements that can be seen as hurtful or degrading, and doing things that establish dominance over another person. People are under the impression that this behavior is perfectly acceptable when in all honesty it’s one of the worst behaviors a person can have.

Nobody should be allowed to manipulate the meaning of a word because they then exempt themselves from the consequences of having nasty manners. One cannot play around and use different words to label themselves simply because they want to get away with a false image. It’s not only misleading, but means they’re being held unaccountable for their actions.

Being blunt is usually a mixture of confidence and consideration. It’s being unafraid to say something while still being courteous of how the other person will feel.

Being rude but hiding it behind the word blunt is weak. It’s not owning up to the fact that what’s being said is harsh and not being a decent enough person to respect other people. Rude people are awful, but those who try to get away with it-- and demand respect-- are even worse.