I Didn't Join A Sorority, And I Don't Regret It

What's the rush to rush?

1216
rj_schmidt

Part of the college experience for girls is thought to be joining a sorority. I scroll through social media and see so many of my friends wearing their Greek life shirts covered in face paint and glitter. When I think of a college girl, I think of someone like them. Their best friends are in their sorority, and they spend most of their free time partying, hanging out and doing community service with their sorority sisters.

So why did I decide not to follow this trend?

1. Sororities are expensive

It’s ridiculous how much girls have to pay for this seemingly essential element of college life. There are dues that can be over a thousand dollars. Then, there are the shirts and dresses and simply the effort of looking nice for every event. People who can afford these expenses are lucky, but I would rather spend my money on piano lessons or a trip to study abroad.

2. Alcohol is always involved

Movies always exaggerate drinking in college, but in my first week, I have been exposed to alcohol more than I have in my entire life. And I’m not in a sorority. If I were to join a sorority I would be invited to parties and pre-gaming and frat parties where I would have to repeatedly say no. This does not appeal to me. I’d much rather hang out with my roommate in our dorm drinking copious amounts of tea and eating lots of junk food. No fake ID required for that!

3. Campus Ministry

The first organization that I joined when I arrived at the University of South Carolina was the Carolina Baptist Collegiate Ministry. I fell in love with it the minute I stepped into the building my first night here. If I’m not watching Netflix in my dorm, studying or in class, I’m at the BCM. Most of my friends are there, and I feel like I am home when I hang out there. If I were in a sorority it would be harder to hang out at the BCM as often. They are always having events and Bible studies that I look forward to every day. If you are in a sorority you are practically forced to become best friends with your sorority sisters. Instead of doing this I have become close friends with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

4. I’m just a little introvert

I thought I was finally outgrowing my introverted personality. Then, I went to the freshmen orientation where I was terrified of everyone and everything. Now that I am moved in I have found my rhythm, but that doesn’t mean everything is easy. After I grab lunch I am overwhelmed by the thousands of students everywhere. I sometimes just run back to my dorm because the sheer number of people I am around scares me. I have gone to one party where I completely froze up and had to get a friend to come pick me up. Sororities force people to be outgoing. I need individual relationships. Not even Prozac could solve the anxiety that sorority parties would give me!

All of the other girls at USC may have decided to rush, but I’m perfectly fine with my decision. I have found my own college family in other places. Through spending time at the BCM and giving in to my introverted tendencies I am better able to enjoy myself in college. I can’t wait to see what these next four years hold!