Did You Notice the Snow?

Did You Notice the Snow?

What can happen when we take a moment away from our electronic devices and notice the world around us.

16
Did You Notice the Snow?
google images

Did you look out your window this morning? Did you notice the beautiful white blanket of snow on the ground? If you’re observant and the first thing you did this morning was look outside rather than check your text messages, or your social media page, then you probably did, so good for you. You’re probably part of the small percentage of this generation that’s still appreciating nature and your surroundings.

So much of our time is wasted on electronic devices. I, as an 18 year-old college student, am guilty of it myself, constantly feeling as though I need to check my phone every second for a text message instead of looking outside to see what kind of day it is. I admit there have even been times that I can’t remain engaged in a conversation with someone because I feel the need to constantly check my phone. I use the common excuse that my phone is just a means of keeping in touch with everyone, but, what would happen if I just set the electronic device aside and began to notice my surroundings? I’d probably begin to have a greater appreciation for life, nature, and the people around me. Instead of watching videos on our social media accounts when we hang out with friends, we could go on nature hikes, and breath in the fresh air. We should take the time to appreciate our friends when we spend time together, pay more attention to them rather than your electronic device, and realize that these moments you spend with them are fleeting. Your phone will always be around, wherever you go, but your friends won’t. Take your loved one up to the peak of a mountain and sit there with them and watch the sunset, instead of taking photos of them for your snap chat story. Capture the moments with them in your memory, not in your iPhone. So much of our time can be spent elsewhere, doing worthwhile things, so take advantage of it.

Lately, I’ve been feeling motivated to cultivate my creative interests. I aspire to find a hobby for myself, something that I am passionate about doing and truly enjoy. I’ve been more tuned in to the fact that my electronic devices have been taking up too much of my time. The generation I’m a part of is so into these tech savvy creations that they’ve forgotten how to exist without their cell phone or tablet or laptop. Every second of the day seems to be devoted to your device, and it’s important that we get away from that, and branch out. It is for exactly these reasons that I desire to find a hobby. Something as simple as drawing or writing in a journal, sewing, or cooking could easily be a more innovative and creative way to occupy my time. I was talking with a friend today about how both of us have become so attached to this world of technology and she told me of a time not too long ago when she decided to completely disengage from the world of social media. She said it made her feel better, like it was a sort of cleanse. She was so completely right in saying that because the world of social media can put so much pressure on our minds. Some of us look at pictures of model women and become obsessed with body image, or others look at photos of their friends hanging out without them and feel a sense of resentment. Why would we want to make ourselves feel that way? Step away from it, and realize that you don’t need that to live a fulfilled life. I guess what I’m trying to say is that we should all take these “cleanses.” We should all wake up and seize the day. We should notice the snow, take a walk outside and pay close attention to all that this world has to offer us. I’m not saying that this realm of technology hasn’t offered our generation great opportunities and more efficiency, because it has. I’m saying that the technology doesn’t have to be the only thing we focus on. Find something else you enjoy doing. Read a good book, hang out with your friends and appreciate each other’s company. Don’t even touch your phones when you’re together, just forget they’re there. Our electronics take away from the beautiful things we should notice in life. The snow is just one of many examples. But for starters, as the winter season is upon us, ask yourself, “did you notice the snow?” If your answer is no, maybe it’s time for you to branch out.