"Diagnosis" on Netflix is the best new show to binge-watch

If You're Looking For A New Show To Binge-Watch, Here Are 12 Reasons You Should Watch "Diagnosis" on Netflix

Crowdsourcing, social media and medical expertise help to solve previously unsolvable medical cases.

28

Netflix has no shortage of offerings and the unique original programming the streaming service turns out always has something new to offer. This time, it's "Diagnosis", which follows Dr. Lisa Sanders as she investigates medical cases that have stumped medical professionals, through a one-of-a-kind approach to diagnostics: crowdsourcing. A doctor of internal medicine at Yale University, Dr. Sanders is also a columnist for The New York Times. Her original column Diagnosis challenges her readers to solve already-resolved medical cases and reveals the answers in the next column.

This time, however, "Diagnosis" tasks Dr. Sanders' readers to solve extremely rare medical cases by submitting videotaped responses of their medical theories or their personal experiences with similar illnesses. Each episode takes the audience on the patient's journey to finally receiving a diagnosis after living with debilitating, incurable illnesses for most of their lives. Although Dr. Sanders and the show's producers were wary of the show's success, in the beginning, the results have been astounding. Dr. Sanders still marvels about how incredible it is to be able to "present a story and have it heard quite literally around the world."

Here are 12 reasons why you should watch the show. Like, right now.

1. Dr. Lisa Sanders' column inspired "House"...

Which makes sense when you compare both shows, but you can only do that once you watch "Diagnosis".

2. Dr. Sanders was also a consultant on "House"

As a doctor at Yale, Dr. Sanders is an expert in her field.

3. Each episode is deeply moving

Yes, I balled my eyes out during the first episode, so consider yourself warned.

4. You get to see, almost in real time, the power of the Internet to solve the unsolvable

Finally, a positive use for the Internet and the vast interconnectedness of the world.

5. Everyone who provides their input becomes a part of each patient's journey

Everyone becomes a family in a sense, and even the audience is made to feel as if they are on the journey too.

6. It's more real than "House" or any other medical drama

Not every patient receives a diagnosis, which is heart-wrenching, but at least they are given a direction to pursue to manage their illnesses.

7. The show has provided hope and a sense of community for those who previously felt alone

Feeling like we belong is fundamental to human nature, so when that doesn't happen, we feel helpless and alone in a huge world to which we can't relate. "Diagnosis" has provided hope to those who previously felt lost, which is probably the show's best result.

8. It's easy to binge-watch

Did I mention that it's seven episodes long?
Did I mention you'll get hooked?
Just carve out a few hours this weekend and treat yourself to this must-see show

9. "Diagnosis" touches upon certain issues within the healthcare system

Issues include how the medical community interacts with patients, and how rampant racism and sexism do more harm than good for the patients.

10. Dr. Sanders is a calming presence in the face of frustration

Many patients have seen up to 40 different doctors, all who couldn't diagnose their illness. They are rightly frustrated, but Sanders treats this frustration with empathy and treats the patients with the respect they deserve.

11. Dr. Sanders is Dr. House in the digital age

With the same level of intrigue that followed the cases on "House," the show feels revamped because of its use of the Internets interconnectivity. By opening up the case to the whole world, theories are thrown around but like in "House," only a few options make the cut.

12. "Diagnosis" will restore your faith in humanity

The sheer notion that strangers all over the world are helping each other is astounding.

Happy binge-watching!