Six Travel Tips For Diabetics To Keep Blood Sugar In Check

Don't let diabetes keep you from the things you love .

337
Pharmacer

Being diagnosed with diabetes is usually a life changing incident for anyone. It does come with a whole bunch of restrictions, medication and changes which seem quite overwhelming. If you are someone who loves to travel, the biggest question that arises is what diabetes means for your travel plans! Well, don’t you worry, because with the help of a bit of planning you can travel safely.

Doctor’s note

For your own safety always carry a note from your doctor stating your health condition, medical specifications with dosage, emergency medicine and paraphernalia including emergency foods that can be administered. Make sure you carry it on yourself all the time while travelling so that in case of any emergency, people can read the note to help you out.

Have your insulin handy

Insulin is your best friend and life saver when you are diabetic therefore, it is important that you carry and store your insulin safely. While flying keep all your diabetes medicines and insulin pens or bottles etc. in a separate small bag in your hand luggage. Make sure you keep a note explaining the details on insulin administration in the bag.

Always carry water

Owing to the increased sugar levels in the blood people who have diabetes are more prone to getting dehydrated. Not only can this make you exhausted and sick, it can also raise your blood sugar levels. Elevated blood sugar can be extremely harmful. If not controlled, it can lead to organ damage. Moreover, owing to diabetes, your organs are always a bit vulnerable, so low water consumption can also contribute to kidney diseases.

Carry some snacks

Make sure that you care some snacks, especially some sugar-based ones like candy or even glucose or plain sugar in case your blood sugar level drops during the trip. It is important to keep a tab on what you are eating throughout the trip since it can and will affect your health. If you need to travel somewhere which requires you to be in a place with no food to buy, pack some snacks before the trip so that you can avoid a gap between two meals which can cause your blood sugar to fall otherwise.

Take care of your feet

Any kind of injury take a much longer time to heal for a diabetic person, hence it is always a wise idea to stay safe and avoid injury. During travelling the body part which is usually most likely to be injured is the foot. Therefore, it is important to choose proper footwear for your travels. There is a variety of special footwear for diabetic patients available in the market.

Mention your dietary restrictions

While travelling make sure you mention your health condition and dietary restrictions to the people at the hotels and restaurants you eat at so that your food can be prepared accordingly. If you are travelling with a caregiver or travel companions, make sure they are aware of your restrictions as well.

Diabetes is not the end of the line, so don’t let it stop you from travelling. With proper caution, medication, emergency options like insulin, and good lifestyle management, you can live a happy life and satisfy your wanderlust.