We All Need To Try Detoxonology

We All Need To Try Detoxonology

'Out of sight, out of mind.'

79
blogterpenuer

The last few weeks have been a game changer for me. I was waiting for my Friday afternoon class to start, and I decided to delete my social media. By social media, I mean my Snapchat. I kept Instagram because I use it to gain inspiration for my workouts and tattoos. Facebook I kept because it's mainly for my classes and clubs.

And IT FELT SO GOOD. Since I couldn't delete the latter two, I turned off notifications for them and moved it the last page on my phone. Out of sight Out of mind.

I no longer catch myself constantly mindlessly opening my Instagram just to scroll through stories to past the time. I no longer care about keeping streaks, and worrying when I might lose one. I realized how badly attached I was to just two simple apps because every morning that would be the first thing I check.

I wanted to detox my mind and soul from this, and today I took the first step. When I told my friends what I was doing, I got texts of surprise and bewilderment. “Why are you doing this?!” “Is everything okay??”

There shouldn’t have to be some life changing even for someone to have to delete their social media. Sometimes it’s just what they need to reconnect with reality. It stills feels new and sometimes I don’t know what to do when I’m just sitting there, and don’t have anything to do.

But now I’ve made up a list of things I want to do.

These are things I’ve always said I was going to do, but never had the time to even start. I’m going to try and start meditating every day and practice mindfulness. I’m finally going to bring a never-opened, still wrapped in plastic yoga mat out of the garage and put it to some use. I want to read and hold an actual hard copy of a book, and lose myself in the stories. I want to talk and learn more about the people around me, and not those I see through an app.

I want to connect back into the world and see all the things I might have missed because I was too busy scrolling through an app. This detox is one that is going to stick around for a while.