Destinations in Wisconsin For the Adventurous Soul

Rise and Shine, it's adventure time!

4343

Despite what you may have heard, Wisconsin is far more than an infinite stretch of grassland. Sure, it may not be your on your radar for the ultimate spring break getaway or a tropical dream vacation, but Wisconsin holds far more potential than we truly give it credit for. From the beauty of the bustling city to the breathtaking nature views further north, let's take a look at some destinations that make this state fit for endless adventure.

The Devil's Punch Bowl: Menomonie, WI

Looking for an all natural hangout that is breathtakingly gorgeous year round? This place is the destination for you. This enormous rock formation hides itself within Menomonie, Wisconsin, and can only truly be admired once you take the winding, wooden stairs downwards into what is, quite literally, nature's accurate depiction of an enormous punch bowl. This largely indented abyss is surrounded by twists and turns of cliff-size rocks, making for a beautiful view that starkly contrasts it's devilish name. While it definitely possesses seasonal beauty, I would have to say that my favorite time of year to visit the Punch Bowl is in the winter time. As it begins to snow across the cliffs, abundant amounts of ice water begin to drip downwards from the tops of the rocks, creating a truly breathtaking array of icicle formations that makes the frigid weather seem completely worth it (at least for a little while).

Devil's Lake State Park: Baraboo, WI

Maintaining the "devilish" theme, Devil's Lake State Park provides us with some all natural proof that there is most certainly more to the town of Baraboo than water park tourist attractions. Devil's Lake is a beautiful area filled with a multitude of hiking trails, ranging from a simple walk in the woods to a difficult trek across steep hills. However, even in the most complicated of hikes, one would find it hard to complain whilst constantly getting to see breathtaking views. Every time I make the trek across those trails, I find myself getting lost in the way the lake water glistens even when I am standing on the tallest boulders in the area. When traveling to Devil's Lake, you have the opportunity to make this a day trip, taking a simple hike and maybe even a swim in the lake, or you can make your travel a weekend getaway, seeing as there are gorgeous campgrounds available throughout the park and multiple excursions to explore, such as kayaking and cliff jumping. Up at Devil's Lake, its hard not to feel as though you are in heaven.

Peninsula State Park: Fish Creek, WI

As a little girl, I cherished my family's annual summer trip up north, towards the beautiful Door County. While Door County contains a plethora of gorgeous beaches and marinas fit for watching the colorful, peachy pink sunsets welcome the night sky, I would have to argue that Peninsula State Park takes the cake. Aside from its scenic beauty, the area offers plenty of recreational activities, fun for the whole family. There are comfortable trails surrounded by tall, green sprouting trees that guide the way through the twists and turns that you may take on your run, walk, or bike. All of these trails eventually take you towards the beach, setting the stage for a pleasurable view, as well as providing aquatic activities like kayaking, paddle boating/boarding, and canoeing. In addition, the park contains a theater, tucked within the thick forests, in which the local performers present outdoor musicals and plays, fit for an audience of any age. To top it all off, there is a classic wooden stairway known as the Eagle Tower that provides you with a grand view of the entire park. It is truly an experience to remember.

Cave Point: Sturgeon Bay, WI

Also located in Door County, Cave Point is the place to be if you want the ultimate Wisconsin cliff jumping experience. The tall cliffs overlook Lake Michigan, providing a truly amazing view, especially during sunrise and sunset. When you aren't keeping yourself busy watching mother nature decorate the sky, however, take the plunge from the tallest cliffs around as you immerse yourself into the crystal clear (but still freezing cold) water. Not only can Cave Point provide an intense adrenaline rush, but it also serves as a reservoir of peace and quiet. As you swim through the water, you once more reach the rock-but this time, at a much lower height, you find yourself at the cliff's large indents, serving as an overhang, or small "cave" to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view in. Whether it be to scream at the top of your lungs, conquering your fear of heights, or to escape from it all and hide away in the mysterious caves, Cave Point gets the job done.

Apostle Islands: La Pointe, WI

While Cave Point provides baby caves for you to rest in and enjoy, you can achieve true exploration within the caves and crevasses of the Apostle Islands. Located at the very northern tip of the state, the islands provide a series of mysteriously breathtaking caves for the whole family to swim or paddle through. These amazing rock formations generate an all natural maze to travel, allowing you to appreciate every nook and cranny that mother nature has to offer. Near the caves, you will find a wide variety of campgrounds and trails to further explore the area from higher depths. Although the Apostle Islands are certainly a more hidden, faraway treasure within Wisconsin, they are worth every effort it takes to get there.

The Milwaukee Lakefront: Milwaukee, WI

Being a Milwaukee girl, born and raised, I can't help but take a turn from all natural vibes and talk about the beauty of the city that is MKE. While Milwaukee can provide you with some pretty gorgeous views, the categorization of these views starkly contrast those of nature. Sure, it's pretty fun to look out at the lovely Lake Michigan and head down to Bradford beach for a dip in the water and a shake from Northpoint- but personally, the best view in Milwaukee comes around at night, when the natural views have faded and the city lights are able to cascade across both the water and the skyline. Aside from late night beauty, MKE has an adorable area known as the Third Ward, filled with adorable shops and restaurants. And, of course, Milwaukee is home to some beautiful art- from the unique sculptures placed throughout the city to the Milwaukee art museum, home of the Calatrava, MKE is genuinely the picture perfect spot for city exploration.

Mt. Simon: Eau Claire, WI

Rounding off the list, I have chosen a spot more close to my collegiate home. Being a student here in Eau Claire, I have had the privilege of visiting Mt. Simon many times and experiencing its natural beauty. Mt. Simon is an awesome place to explore in truly any season, but is especially unique in the summer and the fall. In the summer, the heat provides for appropriate weather to hike through the gorgeous trails, and go cliff jumping off the huge rocks overlooking the Chippewa River. In the fall, the weather remains temperate enough for a comfortable hike, as well as the best possible view atop what is known in Eau Claire as "Top of the World." Top of the World, a hiking destination near Mt. Simon, is basically a huge cliff overlooking the massive forest and greenery of the cities of Eau Claire and Chippewa. However, when the area makes the seasonal transition to fall, the forest turns picturesque shades of ruby red, rich orange, and the purest of yellows, producing a view that might as well be a work of art. The area and all of its peaceful beauty quite literally make me feel as though I am on top of the world.

Overall, it is pretty clear that there is more to Wisconsin than a lot of people think. It may not be a tropical oasis, but it certainly holds plenty of room for adventure and exploration within any given season. Happy travels!