Depression, By A Friend

Depression, By A Friend

There are some challenges that can be blessings in disguise.

12
Depression, By A Friend
Sadaf Mehdi

I am happy to say that the young woman who wrote this personal reflection on depression is one of my very good friends and that I have watched her grow into a confident and outspoken individual. It feels good when you can be there for someone as a good friend, but it feels great when you can be there for someone as a trusted guide.

"I remember a time in my life. A time where I was emotionally scarred. A time where I was depressed and let down. Beaten down by life again and again and again. Waking up was horrible. I would wake up in fear. I did not want to go to school. I did not want to eat or do any social activities. I just wanted to stay in my bed and think about where I went wrong and what I did in my life to deserve this. I was a 17-year-old girl at that time, heartbroken because of one person. I let one person control my life. I put so much trust into someone else but me, and that was the biggest mistake of my life. You can love someone so much and they can make you the happiest person in the world. But if they let you down...there's no greater pain. I was literally sinking into my own depression. I used to think I was the ugliest person alive, and I had no purpose in life. I would pray for my death. The only comfort I had was when I used to tell my best friend about my situations. And she would make me feel so much better. She would give me reasons to live and love life. So many times I thought that this man was my life.. and I can never find anyone better. Many years have passed now. In fact, I'm 21 and I've never been happier. I wake up every day with a smile on my face and love in my heart. For myself, and for the people around me. I look at myself in the mirror and I feel amazing. I'm a whole new person now. I have people in my life that care about me and love me. But the most important thing is that I love myself. The reason I'm writing this article is because I want to tell so many people that depression is temporary. IT WILL GET BETTER. Every day you have to try a little harder, smile a little more. Don't ruin the precious days of your life for anyone else. Take a globe and spin it around. See how big the world is. See how many countries there are. Don't ruin your life for a small petty grain in the sand. You are special. You are unique. You deserve to smile. You are YOU."

And you always will be.