Depression And Dealing With Judgments

Depression And Dealing With Judgments

A letter to those with depression and the people around them.

4
Depression And Dealing With Judgments
Destiney Kunkel

When you suffer from depression you know that getting up and doing simple tasks can be very draining. Sometimes you wish that you had someone to talk to and escape for at least a few seconds. On top of your depression, you have the weight of people constantly judging you. You may go to share a post or talk about depression on Facebook but have to restrain yourself. You know that if you had clicked the post button seconds later a family member would be messaging you with a thousand questions. You may want to text your friends, but you know that they are probably tired of your complaining.

How do you explain to your family that you have suffered from depression for years without them yelling at you? How do you tell them that you have tried to commit suicide without a thousand questions? At the same time, how do you get help when nobody knows what you are going through?

When you are riddled with depression, you shouldn't have to worry about people telling you that you are temporarily sad. You shouldn't have to worry about people telling you to get over it. When you are mentally ill, you should be your priority. Self-help is so hard to find in today's society. Depression often keeps you from helping yourself. It is hard to explain to your friends that you don't want to. You can't hang out because you don't even have the energy to sit up in your bed.

There have been many times when I cry for no reason in the middle of the day. When people ask me what's wrong I can't explain. If I tell them that my heart is empty and my head it pounding with thoughts of insecurity they won't understand. In a group of happy friends, it is hard to be the one that drags on.

As a society, it is so important to remove the negative stigma that comes with mental illness. If we open our minds to people around us and realize that not everybody is the same, maybe we could live in a little peace. Depression is a serious topic and should be taken just that way if someone you know has depression it is vital to stay by their side. If you see someone who may be suffering, talk to them and offer your help. Don't judge someone for something that they can't help. If the person can't get out of bed that day, don't make them feel guilty for it. Depression is really and self-help is important.