The Departure of Zayn Malik

The Departure of Zayn Malik

Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, and Niall Horan. It's not One Direction without the Bradford Bad Boy Zayn Malik.

11
The Departure of Zayn Malik

If you want to induce cardiac arrest on girls between the ages of 9 and 25, all you have to do is say these five magical names. Harry. Louis. Zayn. Liam. And Niall. Better known as, One Direction. With all of the hype and fame that has followed this boy band for the past five years, news struck on March 25 that changed the dynamics of their success. Zayn quit the band. Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

In 2010 five young boys ranging from 16-18 tried out as solo acts on the British version of the X Factor. All five of them made it past their auditions and continued through the competition for a couple weeks. Liam Payne, who had tried out for X Factor two years prior, was sent home with the other four members. Within ten minutes of this news, Simon Cowell, who was the creator of the show as well as one of the judges, came up with the idea to form these five random boys together and allow them to continue competing as a band. By the time the season finished the boys came in third place but were immediately signed to Cowell's record label; and were to start recording immediately. Outside of the recording studio, a fan-base was vastly approaching for the overnight boy band.

In late 2010 the band released their first single “What Makes You Beautiful" which debuted at number 1 across the world. Media started covering stories on the boys stating the band would be a one hit wonder. Boy were they wrong. Several months after the release of their single, their first album Up All Night debuted at the number one spot worldwide. Something even the Beatles couldn't accomplish. Suddenly young girls across the globe became diagnosed with the disease “Direction Infection."

Before we knew it One Direction was being interviewed from the Today Show, to Ellen, to David Letterman; guest starring on Saturday Night Live, winning every teen choice award, grammy, VMA, and any other award you could imagine, and selling out stadiums world wide.Since 2010 the band has won over 50 awards, headlined four tours, and debuted four number 1 albums. Not to mention made the highest selling 3D concert movie to date.

But what exactly is it that sets this boy band apart from most? The wholesome, fun loving, charming boys from the UK are not like most boy bands. They don't dance. They don't wear matching outfits, and they don't really follow the rules that management tells them to. Perhaps this generation of boy bands has taught us what it means for celebrities to stay grounded. Zayn Malik being one of them.

Zayn, who is known as the Bradford bad boy, is perhaps the shyest of all the members. Malik, who is currently 22 and engaged to Perrie Edwards, singer of Little Mix, has always been vocal about his lack of favoritism when it comes to fame. In the original interview given by Zayn when he tried out for the X Factor, he states that his goal was to provide for his mother, and two sisters, whom were living in poverty. Malik's vocals was something that he felt could get him somewhere. Luckily for Zayn that was just the case. In the band's documentary This Is Us, Malik reaches his life goals and is able to buy his family the house of their dreams, and their first house they will ever own themselves.

Now, fast forward to 2015 and suddenly the One Direction fandom is shaken by a storm with one incident after another. At the beginning of March Louis Tomlinson ended a long term relationship with model girlfriend Eleanor Calder. This was perhaps the next couple whom were to be engaged following Malik and Edwards, and came as a surprise to many when a third member was added to the single category. On Mach 19, Malik was accused of cheating on his fiancé when photos at a night club surfaced with what looked as though Malik was getting rather touchy with a fan. The tabloids and rumors became unbarring for Malik, enough that he took a leave of absence for what was said to be a couple days. In fact, it was stated that Malik would return on the 28th of March. After returning home to spend time with his fiancé, and clear whatever it was he needed to clear up, the world was shaken when a Facebook post was surfaced all across social media that gave Zayn Malik's official statement: After five years he was quitting One Direction.

Girls across the world reached out to the band in hopes that this was just an awfully tacky joke. It seemed that in that moment, we all realized that the lost of 1/5 of the biggest boy band in history, would never be the same. The band was said to carry on with the remainder of the tour, as well as finish their fifth album that is yet to announce a release date. As for Malik, it only took a couple hours for rumors to surface stating he was already planning his solo career, the engagement with Edwards was off, management asked him to quit, and the remaining four boys were livid with his decision.

On the 27th a brief interview with UK magazine The Sun released the first interview with Malik since the big announcement. Malik admitted he didn't want to hurt fans and it was never his intention to disappoint but rather finally take control of his life and pull himself away from something he was unhappy with. Of course he was immediately asked if he plans on returning anytime soon, and in proper mysterious Zayn Malik form, he said he is unable to answer that at the moment.

Now for hopeful Directioners like myself this is my two cents. You can say I'm in denial, but I genuinely believe that our Bradford Bad Boy will be back before we know it. With the tour not even reaching Europe, America, and South America (which contain the biggest One Direction market) it hasn't even set in for Zayn. He hasn't had time to miss his home away from home, and the moment he sees footage and hears about his fellow bandmates time on the road, he will miss his life of what once was. As far as spending time with his fiancé; it's nice to be home with her for now, but she too is in a band that requires a lot of traveling, interviews, press meetings and signings, that will force her to spend time away from Zayn. The fame and constant attention will just have to be something that Zayn will learn to deal with, and his brothers will be there to support him. May I remind everyone that Ringo Star announced in 1968 that he was leaving the Beatles, and three months later he returned. AJ McLean from the Backstreet Boys walked out of the tour and returned weeks later better and more ready than ever.

Sometimes these minor setbacks are in preparation for a major comeback and that is exactly what Zayn Malik will give us. It is also appropriate to bring up the time during the X Factor when Zayn's grandfather passed and he was forced to leave the boys for a week. Upon his arrival, he said being away from the boys was one of the hardest things for him. If that doesn't give you hope for the current situation, I don't know what will.

So before you tear down your calendars and get rid of your posters have faith that Zayn Malik will return. The boy band that we've all grown to love will return shortly and be bigger than anything we could ever imagine. And if you're listening to “Stockholm Syndrome" and “Little Things" on repeat, go ahead and let out a few tears, but just know that Zayn's future involves this band.