Christian Democrat
Politics

Christian Democrat

Yes, it's possible

60
Christian Democrat
Jessica Chapman

I've recently heard the question asked, how can you a be a democrat if you're a Christian? And vice versa.

While my first instinct was to laugh, my second instinct was to find away to explain exactly how I am those two things.

"There is a separation between church and state."

Maybe that's not written word for word on anything but anyone who has taken a high school government or history class has heard this before.

This country is what it is because of the freedoms we have; the freedoms our brave men and women are out there fighting for everyday. One of those freedoms is the freedom of religion. You and I can worship or choose not to worship any God, idol or entity of your choosing and not be thrown in jail or stoned to death for doing so.

If we are free to practice the religion of our choosing, how can we expect an entire nation of about 324 million people who practice over one thousand different religions to be governed by just one religion's beliefs? Especially when there are around 41,000 Christian denominations/churches alone whose values and beliefs differ in many ways.

While America has been called a "Christian nation, not every American citizen is a God-fearing, church-attending, bible-studying Christian. Many conservatives that I know feel strongly about specific Christian values (usually hot button topics like homosexuality and abortion) but they but don't live their lives by the Bible in any other way. It's safe to say that a majority rarely attend church, get divorced, have sex before marriage, use the Lord's name in vain, lie, and the list goes on for days. All of those sins are equal in God's eyes according to the Bible.

You cannot pick and choose which parts of the Bible you believe in and which you choose to leave out to fit your lifestyle.

One can be personally against something for religious reasons, like abortion or gay marriage, and still believe that it is a human right.

For example, I am not going to get an abortion but that's because of my personal beliefs on the subject. Why should my belief keep anyone else from having control over their own body? Just because I don't like the idea of something or it isn't for me, doesn't mean I should keep anyone else from doing it.

Christians who live by the Bible don't believe in having sex before marriage, but I don't see anyone pressing for a law against that. Do you?

I truly believe that this country is the greatest country in the world because of the freedoms we have. Governing by one religion takes away some of that freedom. Not to mention the fact that the plans and ideas I've heard from conservatives don't fit my Christian values at all:

Christianity is about loving thy neighbor not building a fence to keep them out of your yard.

Christianity is about accepting everyone regardless of their race, gender or religion, not publicly humiliating and insulting people who aren't just like you.

Christianity is about doing what's right, not cheating people to get ahead.

Christianity is about helping your fellow man, not complaining your taxes help feed his children.

Christianity is about welcoming others with open arms, not banning them from bettering their life on our soil.

Christianity is all about making the world a little less worldly, not about big bank accounts and material things ruling the world.

The views and opinions I have heard from the right wing lately are fueled by hate and greed. There are lies being spewed, facts being argued, and blame placed everywhere except where it belongs. No one is coming up with practical solutions or plans; instead they get on television and just tell us they have one while avoiding every direct interview question.

I respect the old values of the Republican Party.

They used to have some merit and well, sense to them. But today, the majority use their religion as an excuse for their hate. Their fear tactics outweigh their facts.

Their entertainment value outweighs their credibility.

If Republicans truly believe in their Christian values, if they have read any of the Bible at all I pose them this question:

How can you be a Christian and support what's going on in our country?

Photos clockwise:

-Me standing in line in downtown Des Moines to see President Obama on the eve of the 2012 election.

-My now-husband and I the first time he went to church with me

-Out to dinner with my fellow church ladies, in a "Bill Clinton for First Lady" tee shirt

-Sporting democratic pride at a Hillary Clinton rally in January 2016