My Definitive Top Ten "Simpsons" Episodes

68
SimpsonsWorld.com

I often wonder what my life would be like had I not discovered "The Simpsons." I know for a fact I would not have my sense of humor, which means I wouldn't have the only component of my personality people like. I owe "The Simpsons" a great debt for playing a hand in making me who I am. I knew from the moment I joined The Odyssey, I would one day write this list. So, without further ado here it is.

10. Bart Gets An F (Season 2).

This is one chosen for personal reasons mostly. It is not one of the funniest episodes of all-time. It has great jokes here and there, but what I really love is the story and emotional core of it. If you are sitting there and wondering "How can be a Simpsons episode be emotional." Then I can I tell you that you don't know your shit. Yes, "The Simpsons" is a comedy/satire, but back in the day they could hit you in the feels. Basically, this is about Bart coming to terms with the fact that he isn't book smart no matter how hard he tries. That just isn't who he is, but the world needs him to be that in order for him to be successful. If you weren't the smartest kid in class, you should find this relatable. The ending scene where Bart breaks down after getting that "F" is one of the realest and emotional scenes in TV history.

9. Stark Raving Dad (Season 3).

I love Michael Jackson and I love The Simpsons. You put them together and you have one of my favorite episodes of all-time. Also, look up "Happy Birthday Lisa." It's a great song performed by Michael Jackson for the show.

8. Homer's Barbershop Quartet (Season 5).

I love when a show tackles real life events and makes those events their own. This is "The Simpsons" version of The Beatles. Homer's Barbershop Quartet has the exact same rise and fall of The Beatles. So, if you are as obsessed with The Beatles as I am. You'll find much to enjoy here.

7. Mr. Plow (Season 4).

I believe this is the first iconic episode found on this list. Even the smallest of Simpsons fans know Mr. Plow. That is for good reason might I say. It's a typical "Homer gets a job" episode. However, for whatever reason this one works that troupe the best. The pacing of the jokes in this episode flows better than most. Add a cameo from Adam West and an iconic jingle, and you have one of the best The Simpsons have to offer.

6. Marge on the Lam (Season 5).

This episode has a very strong main story. Marge getting into some trouble with a neighbor and have to outrun the lawn. However, I love this episode so much just for the Chief Wiggum and Homer subplot. They worked so well together comedically and effectively takes over the episode. It has some of my favorite moments in Simpsons history all in one episode. It has Chief Wiggum jamming out to "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" by Leslie Gore. It has a great scene with Homer stuck in a vending machine that I quote so much. Speaking of quotable, I have uttered the words "It's a ghost car" so damn much that it would be absurd if I didn't put this episode on the list.

5. Homer the Great (Season 6).

This episode has a genius concept and an even better execution. We all have wondered what it would be like if there was a secret society pulling the strings and wondered what it would be like to apart of that society. This episode not only runs with that idea, they make fun of that idea. I love how this society works and how Homer found a loophole in joining it. I love the message where when the society actually uses their power for charitable causes, they begin to hate being apart of the group. Showing that they want the power, but they don't actually want to use it for good. That is such excellent commentary for modern society that it is downright brilliant.

4. I Love Lisa (Season 4).

This episodes hits on all of the emotion found within young love. It has a rare dynamic that shows both sides of the romantic coin. You understand instantly why Ralph would really like Lisa and go to great lengths to be with her. However, you also get Lisa's perspective where she just doesn't see Ralph like that and has a hard time finding a way to turn him down. I love that this episode exists for that, because it is crucial for both sides to be shown. I relate so much to both Lisa and Ralph that is hard to believe that they cartoon characters. This feels almost to real. Also, if your heart strings aren't tugged at the scene where Ralph gets no Valentine's Day cards, you have no soul and I think I hate you.

3. Homer Badman (Season 6).

The big reason why I love The Simpsons so much is because it is excellent satire. It is constantly reminding us that the world is full of stupid people who run it and the smart struggle. However, no episode is a stronger satire on our current climate like this one. This episode takes a piss on how the media handles certain cases. They will take an innocent person and make them for the sake of entertainment purposes. They don't care so much about the truth, they care about ratings and telling a story. How public opinion dictates how everything in the world works. Homer gets screwed over because of a misunderstanding regarding a woman. The media affects him horribly causing him great grief. However, once the truth comes out, he goes right back to believing whatever the media says. It is a perfect and unchanging circle. This episode is so freakin' smart and ahead of its time.

Treehouse of Horror V (Season 6).

Look, all the "Treehouse of Horror" episodes belong on this list. They are generally the most creative and funny episodes bar none. However, I wanted this list to be interesting. So, I picked my favorite of the bunch. This one has the brilliant shining parody that puts it over the edge as the best. The time-travel one is also really fun and I really really dig the segment where teachers eat the students. That's all the reason I need to put it on this list.

1. Lisa's Substitute (Season 2).

No, this episode is not really all that funny. Yes, that subplot of Bart running for class president is highly underwhelming. However, my God is this episode an emotional volcano that just erupts. Lisa in the early Simpsons episodes is one of the very best. She is such an outcast because she is so very smart, but the world around her is so dumb. The one time her intelligence is not taken for granted, but praised is from this substitute teacher. This makes her reflect upon her relationship with her father, who doesn't seem to take much of an interest in Lisa. This is a story about self-discovery and self-worth that is so powerful that it legit makes you feel emotions you never thought you'd feel watching a Simpson's episode. That last ten minutes are some the best ten minutes in TV history and I truly believe that statement. Seriously, look up all the episodes on this list. However, if you can't. Try to find the last ten minutes of this episode. It's gritty and heartbreaking. Yet, it has an uplifting conclusion that you leave the episode with the widest smile. To me, this will always be the best The Simpson's has to offer.