In Defense Of Kanye West

Last week, Kanye West appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres show and blew everyone’s mind. But not necessarily in a good way.

The first few moments were typical, Ellen questioning him over his family, his Twitter battles (to which he stated, “what’s the point of thinking?’) and that infamous plea for money to Mark Zuckerberg. Once Ellen questioned him about why he was pleading for extra money and then to pitch it to some billionaire, he went for it.

In his six and a half minute rant, he defended himself and called this current period a “Renaissance Period.” He names director Steve McQueen and himself as people who a multiple talents. He talked about not caring about being likeable since we only have 100 years. His whole quote being: "Don't tell me about being likeable. We've got a hundred years here. We're one race, the human race, one civilization. We're a blip in the existence of the universe, and we're constantly trying to pull each other down. Not doing things to help each other. That's my point. It's like I'm shaking talking about it. I know it's daytime TV, but I feel that I can make a difference while I'm here. I feel that I can make things better through my skill set. I'm an artist, and I feel that I can make things better through my skill set. I'm a artist. Five years old, art school. PhD, Art Institute of Chicago.”

This then turned into to learning he has Synesthesia, a disorder that blends the senses together. He also name-dropped from Obama to DiCaprio and turned to fashion to end the beautiful rant. West remembered being as young as ten and wanting to look good. He said he’s learned so much from fashion shows, even apparently calling the owner of Payless Shoes. He predicts to be the “Michael Jackson of fashion,” breaking down doors that weren’t previously open. He also wants to end bullying; that was just a note at the end of the rant.

I know pretty much everyone hates him with his unpredictability, but it’s sort of nice to see honesty. He just wants to help people the only way Kanye knows how to, but of course, it's so unconventional. This is just what he thinks. We’ve seen these outrageous, celebrity types before, but with today’s social media, it explodes right in front of you. People see a lot of Kanye and probably are sick of Kanye. Ultimately he has fine ideas, but added with his attitude and lifestyle, I feel it’s misunderstood. We're used to these humble figures talking about change and giving back, but Kanye doesn’t have much of a history being that. He has a fuse, he’s controversial, he's arrogant. But he knows what he can do. And hey, why not let him? Why not give him a chance? He’s settled down since marriage and family, but it’s still Kanye. It’s always going to be Kanye. It comes with him.

He knows his lawlessness. At the end of his tirade, stating, “I’m sorry, daytime television. I’m sorry for the realness.”