Deer Hunting and Girlfriends: The Truth

Deer Hunting and Girlfriends: The Truth

1023
Deer Hunting and Girlfriends: The Truth

With the weather starting to get a little less hot, all I have on my mind is deer season. If you're anything like me, when fall comes so does a different attitude. I eat, breath, and sleep deer hunting. Deer season is an extremely fun time for me and for most others. It's something that can give you a rush, and be relaxing all at the same time. Deer hunting is a way to forget about whatever it is you have to deal with in the "real world"; and, just, for lack of better words, chill. Unless of course you have a non-hunting girlfriend. This is when deer season can become less of a relaxation process and more of a hassle.

When it comes to being a hunter and dating a non-hunter you will come across many different "setbacks". The main thing you have to deal with is the fact that she will probably not understand your love for the sport; and trust me, there is no way to make her understand.

For example:

NHG (non-hunting girlfriend): "I just don't get it, you can go hunting any day."

You:

"But the wind is just right today."

This means absolutely nothing to her. And why should it? You're the hunter, she's not.

Scenarios such as this can make your day of hunting, or what could have been your day of hunting go south quickly. But that's nothing compared to how bad your day is going to be when your non-hunting girlfriend says those four terrible words, "TAKE ME WITH YOU".

When those words leave her lips, there is only one thing that goes through your head... "SH*T!"

So what do you do? Well, you can't tell her that it isn't a good day for hunting, because five minutes ago you were begging her to let you go. So scratch that.

Guess what you're doing pal? You're taking your girlfriend (who does not ever hunt) hunting. Good luck.

Well here you are, walking to some run down shoot house (one you never go to) that has two chairs in it so your girlfriend can hunt with you. You've been sitting there for 15-20 minutes and she is being relatively quiet. This makes you happy. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Think again.

All of a sudden you hear, "Honey, I'm cold."

Listen to me, this is her first attempt to get you to leave. Don't crack. Do whatever it takes. Give her your jacket. Contract hypothermia. But do not leave until the hunt is over.

Assuming you get the temperature situation squared away, let her know that she is the one that gets to shoot the deer that comes out; unless it's a big buck of course. You're going to want to make sure you're very clear on that. This will buy you enough time to get through the hunt. NHG is entertained.

But what happens if a deer that she's allowed to shoot does come out? Well, there are two scenarios.

1.) She points the gun at the deer to take her shot. Just when you think she's about to squeeze the trigger, you see a tear roll down her face. "I don't want to kill it anymore". Okay great. So you take the gun and you think you're going to get to kill it. Wrong. If you want this girl to come home with you after this whole deal, then you better set that gun down and start packing your stuff up to head home. Hunt is over. Leave empty handed. And pray for better days.

2.) She points the gun at the deer to take her shot. Just when you think she's about to squeeze the trigger..... She does.... She kills the deer.... What the heck? NHG is excited now. She is going to want to ALWAYS go with you, and want you to ALWAYS let her shoot the first deer. Welcome to a lifetime of deer seasons that are filled with dragging deer out of the woods that you did not kill. Welcome to a lifetime of deer seasons filled with skinning deer, that you also did not kill.

The point I am trying to make is that when you take a girl on a first date, and you think you could see yourself spending quite some time with her, you have to ask her one simple question: "So how do you feel about me deer hunting most of the fall/winter?"

There are two acceptable answers.

1.) I could care less.

2.) I hunt a lot myself, I'm actually very good at it and can do it all on my own.

Any other answer than that? Bounce.