How to decorate your space when you move in together as a couple

7 Decorating Tips To Find The Perfect Balance Of Yours And His When You Move In Together

Talk it out.

17

Moving in together is a huge step in a relationship. It's an amazing time where everything is new...and can be a stressful time as well, especially if you don't plan and talk things out.

SEE ALSO: Don't Move In Together Unless You Can Check Off These 10 Requirements

Following a few tips, you can be on the right track to decorate your new home the way you both want to:

1. Put a budget together.

Before you start selling things and buying things, you should be on the same place financially. Put together a budget and talk about what you want to spend money on. Not discussing this can lead to some major issues and arguments down the road.

2. Define what is sentimental.

If one of you has a piece of furniture or something small that means a lot to you, tell your partner. You don't want to ignore sentimental value of some pieces, and you can base your decorating off combining some individual sentimental pieces in your joint home.

3. Don't try to bring too many old things into a new home.

It can be hard to do a complete mix of his and hers from your individual places. Things can look out of place and cluttered, and it can be hard to decide which person's furniture you're keeping. Sometimes it's best to sell your older stuff and invest in some new pieces that you two can buy together, which can be a fun and cleansing process.

4. Talk about the style you want to go for.

Before you start buying anything, talk to your partner about what style you're both looking for. Maybe you're both open or maybe you're set on a certain type, but be collaborative and find a look that you both want to live in.

5. Stick with non-color walls.

You may want to make a statement with the paint on your, but it's probably a better idea to stick to more plain, subtle colors. You can keep the rooms looking gender-neutral, while still add accents of color with wall art, pillows, etc.

6. Make yourself known in their space... gradually

If you're moving into your partner's home, it can be hard to make it your space too. You don't want to just leave it how it is and feel like a stranger in your own home, but you also definitely don't bulldoze everything to make your mark. Talk to your partner about putting some of your stuff in the mix. It can be overwhelming to your partner if you go all in and want to change everything. Focus first on adding and changing smaller stuff, and then move your way up to bigger things.

7. Voice any concerns.

Throughout the whole process, it's important to talk to your partner. Don't keep concerns bottled up. If you really don't like something or aren't comfortable with a certain style, make sure your partner is aware of that - chances are, you can talk it through.

*This doesn't mean you should argue on EVERYTHING. Pick your battles wisely!