You Decide What It Means To Be A Man Or Woman, Not Society

Two different genders, two different expectations.
389

According to a study conducted by the California Technical Institute, 25.9 percent of girls are matched with prospective adopting families while 34.4 percent of boys are matched with theirs. This issue demonstrates that gender profiling is a growing issue in our society concerning the increased preference of one gender over the other, based on their so-called superior masculine or feminine traits. Both women and men have faced the discriminating impacts of gender inequality within their daily lives, but nothing substantial has been done about it.

A common misconception is that males are better workers and more intellectual as compared to their female counterparts, when in reality, neither gender surpasses the other gender in their abilities. If it is possible to have women occupy professions, such as pilots, lawyers, and business CEOs, then it is safe to say that with ambition and hard work, women can be seen as strong candidates when competing for occupations against other males. Now in the workplace, bridging the wage gap has long been a goal for many feminists, but this issue still remains deeply rooted within various workplaces. Women are paid about 20 percent less than men for doing the exact same job, not to mention the burden of their moral obligation to do housework and raise children.

On the other hand, males also face inequity in regards to social behavior. Young girls are seen as easily submissive while boys are known for engaging in significantly rebellious behavior, then afterwards being blamed for their impulsiveness. A study conducted by the University of California tested whether a group of boys or girls would object to being made to drink lemonade with salt. The girls, in an effort to spare feelings, attempted to swallow the entire drink, but the boys were more assertive and voiced that the lemonade needed sugar. When young, boys are encouraged to speak out frequently and demonstrate their strength to portray dominance, while girls are strictly disciplined to avoid such open behavior. Therefore, as they grow older, men are seen as most likely to commit a crime as compared to women, and they often fall under the scrutiny of police officers and other authorities far more frequently. The University of Minnesota’s census states that approximately 80 percent of arrests for violent crime are of men.

Whether it’s in social situations or educational endeavors, women and men both have their advantages and disadvantages within societal norms, and that is not ethical. Every person should be free to be themselves, and a person's gender should not rule their decisions. Having an individual voice and expressing opinions should not be limited to only one gender. Individuality should not be repressed according to society’s norms; after all, each person has their own unique skills that they use to contribute to society in ways that others cannot. Those who see that our society is still somewhat unequal should be applauded.

There are already many barriers within our population, such as religion, age, sexuality and more. By embracing the distinctive traits that come with each gender and working together, one more barrier can be broken.