Decades Of Wisdom

Decades Of Wisdom

Important lessons from the first 20 years.

16
Decades Of Wisdom

While the 21st is typically the most celebrated 20s birthday, my looming 20th birthday has caused me to do some thinking about what the I’ve been doing for the past two decades. Although 20 is certainly very, very young, I can’t help but feel “old” as I finally say goodbye to my teenage years. There is still so much for me to learn as I realize my life has really just begun, but I can’t discredit how much the past 19 years have helped shaped me. Here are some of the most valuable lessons that I picked up during those years, and I am sure that they will stay with me on my 20th birthday, and probably all of my future birthdays as well.

Recognize who Is important.

A lot of our childhood and teenage years are spent making friends, losing friends, and dealing with the good and bad that comes along with friendship. Friends are a vital part of life, and we are always going to be meeting new ones and fostering relationships with old ones. However, friends come and go. I’ve realized that not everyone is going to be your best friend, even the ones you swore were going to; what’s important is realizing who has always been, and always will be a good friend, and giving those people your time and attention. By age 20 I (hope) I have come to truly realize who to devote my time and friendship to, and who really couldn't care less if I did or not.

Work hard.

As they often do, the cliché rings true in this case: there is no substitute for hard work. While putting in your 100 percent time and effort for something can be draining and force you to make sacrifices, working hard is a fact of life if you have a desire to get what you want. Even though it can feel endless and tiring when you’re going through it, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing your hard work pay off, and having others recognize it as well.

Be nice.

A simple concept that seems to be so easily lost, I’ve learned that only good can come from putting your best foot forward and just being genuinely kind. Not only will others appreciate it, but they will remember it. You will probably end up looking back in regret at a nasty comment you made or time you yelled at someone when you shouldn't have, but you most likely won’t look back in regret at the times when you acted like your best self. One smile in a world that’s often filled with so much hate can go a long way; be that one smile.

Have fun.

If you can, don’t take life too seriously. Indeed, there are a lot of things in life that you do have to take very seriously, so if there is something that you don’t have to, don’t. Live fully in those moments of just having fun as often as you can, and try your best to remember all of them.