Debating The Debate

Debating The Debate

As much as the debate is an inconvenience, it is an amazing thing to be a part of history.

14
Debating The Debate

If you live on Long Island you surely know that Monday, September 26th, 2016 is the first national presidential debate that will be held right here on Long Island. More specifically, it will be held at Hofstra University. If you are a student at Hofstra, there is no way you could possibly forget about debate day considering every time you turn around a new Debate 2016 sign is plastered on the side of yet another building. There is also no way you could forget about it due to all the exciting events surrounding the debate and all of the inconveniences you are experiencing.

Pros

Hofstra University is the only institution that can say they have now held three consecutive presidential debates. If that is not an honor then I do not know what is. This is also such a great opportunity for the students on campus.

Hofstra students have had the opportunity to volunteer for the debate in various areas of work. What a great way to get involved in a national and historical event and build your resume!

Students have numerous chances to be featured on news stations. There are news stations set up all over campus and some have even been here for over a week already! There are opportunities to get interviewed just by walking through campus and some news stations even sent out a volunteer form for students to volunteer to wake up early and possibly be featured on television.

Some lucky students may even get a chance be at the debate! There was a student lottery held for students registered to vote to be able to win the chance to actually get a ticket to attend this historical debate. Students who do not get chosen have an abundance of watch parties to choose from, all of which will have tons of free giveaways.

Cons

Good luck finding parking Hofstra students. They have closed just about every parking lot on campus and the media has set up all their trailers and taken over where we would normally park.

Yes, Hofstra Public Safety did tow your car if you did not move it in the time frame you were supposed to move it, which is highly annoying. If you couldn't find parking the past few days though do not worry, many professors have actually canceled classes because they feel bad for students who cannot find parking and they understand how chaotic campus is.

While many people are jumping for joy over this, it does disrupt class and the syllabus. I am sure many professors are not too happy about having to rearrange their syllabus. Many students are looking at campus and looking at their own dorm rooms and the numerous repairs that need to be done, well the debate has proven to us that our tuition money not only goes to tulips but to debate posters and signs as well.

Not only students but all Long Islanders, good luck traveling or getting anywhere the day of the debate. Traffic is sure to be crazy, and if you live in Hempstead there is no chance of you getting anywhere due to the turnpike being closed down, as well as certain areas and side streets near the University being shut down.

In the end, as much as the debate is an inconvenience, it is an amazing thing to be a part of history.