10 Ways To Debate Politics Online Gracefully

You have your platform, you have your topic; but how do you make people respect your opinion?

142
U.S. Department of Education

In the wake of a divided America, politics has quickly become one of the nation’s hottest topics, not only to the professional media but to the average Joe as well. Without a platform or a dedicated audience, the everyday citizen turns to social media in order to have his or her voice heard. While I applaud the modern day American for doing so, I witness massive faux-pas that not only weakens a person’s argument but their side as a whole. Equipped with these tools and a healthy dash of good judgment, anyone--no matter their stance--will be able to form an argument that will make the opposing side struggle to dispute.

1. Pick Your Fights

If a throw-away joke from a cat video angers you, it’s best to hold your exasperation inside. No one in the comments of the video is looking forward to a political debate. In fact, your opinion is less likely to be taken seriously because you were so hot-headed over something so frivolous. The beauty of digital soap boxing is that you have a chance to have your opinion heard. Don’t waste it.

2. Avoid Mudslinging

When the British feared Napoleon, they spread rumors that he was short to diminish the widespread fear that he caused. In today's world, a rumor would barely leave a forum before fact-checkers would tear it down. If you want to discount a politician or a political party, do not stoop to gossip. It only makes your argument look vain.

3. Don't Belittle The Opposing Side

Just because a person has different opinions than you doesn’t mean they are stupid. It just means that they are passionate about another cause that they see worthy in their own eyes.

4. Don't Give Agitators The Time of Day

Some people believe that the best way to win an argument is to prod at people until they snap. These people have many names: the rebel-rousers, the trolls, etc. They are ultimately the flame-starters to any political debate. Do your best to not entice these people. If you do, keep your tone rational and your mind clear. Once you get angry, they’ll use your exasperation against you and you’ll lose any chance of having a coherent argument.

5. Use Your Identity Or Another's (An Ethos)

Citing an identity for yourself is the strongest weapon that any digital soap boxer can have. Using an ethos or an example of why your opinion is credible is important because it makes people listen to you. An ethos can range from being a veteran to a political science major. If you can’t establish ethos inside of your own argument then you can claim someone else's. You could state that J.F.K had the same mindset as you, and give examples or showcase another educated person’s opinion. Just remember to stay credible and do not lie.

6. Attack The Argument, Not The Person

Leave a person’s race, sexual orientation, appearance and every other bias outside of the door when you are arguing. Not only is it disgusting to belittle someone for their differences, but it’s a weak argument as well.

7. Accept Fault

Nothing in the world is perfect. This includes your argument. When presented with indisputable facts, don’t deny. Instead, make a plausible argument or show why the wrongdoing of your politician or your political party is a small fare for their benefits.

8. Use Proper Grammar, But Don't Talk Down To People

There’s a way to be literate and not condescending. Use correct spelling, grammar, and language that the everyday man can use.

9. Understand That You May Not Change Another Person's Viewpoint

Having your voice heard doesn’t mean you are going to change the other side's viewpoint. Sometimes people, just like yourself, may be too stuck in their ways to see the other side. However, don’t fret; the beauty of digital soap boxing is that you can’t lose. You are not only seen by the opposing side, but you also give information to your political allies and perhaps may sway an undecided member to join your cause.

10. Know When To Take A Stand

It’s easy to talk a big game online, to say that your mindset will change the nation. However, it takes more than online debate for things to get done. You have to vote, call representatives of your government, and be an active member of your government and your community.