Debate Is Healthy

Debate Is Healthy

"Learn to be open minded and respectful to people's opinions, even when you don't agree."

404
Debate Is Healthy

After the recent Supreme Court ruling in favor of gay marriage, the upcoming presidential race and legalization of marijuana, there are a lot of arguments and opinions being thrown around. This leads to debate; which is awesome.

Debating is great. Getting into an argument can be full of emotions, some good and some bad, but it is rewarding to have that exhilarating experience. It is good to live and feel a range of emotions. Possessing the ability to have an argument and hold your ground will do wonders for you in life. I am a firm believer in fully feeling your emotions. I push people to debate and get angry, happy or sad. It is good to spread your opinions and it is good for you as a person.

People sometimes stay away from debating and arguing because they have different opinions and can't see the other person's side or don't choose to. I know I used to be afraid of debating because I did not think I could stand up for what I believed in. Many times when someone shared an opinion that I did not agree with I would just nod my head and not contribute anything to the conversation. Finally, I decided that not sharing what I believed in was silly. I had the right to voice my opinion. Isn't that what freedom of speech is all about? This is something that I want everyone to try to do; to stand up for themselves and know it is okay to not agree with everyone.

Make sure to educate yourself on the topic and know all of the recent news when forming your opinions. This way you can back up your argument and make it valid. If there happen to be holes in your side of the argument, people can pick apart what you say. I have experienced this before and have felt the embarrassment of not having anything else to say or prove my opinion. I have learned more about my opinions on certain issues, and this has improved my debate skills immensely. So, be sure you know what you are talking about before you make opinions and jump to conclusions.

There will be times when someone just does not think you are right. That is okay, as long as you are able to walk away level-headed, and can live with having a different opinion on something with that person. This does not mean that you can no longer have a relationship with them! Having different opinions can be beneficial to your friendships and relationships, remember that! Do not assume they are a certain way because of their opinion, they are still the same person you have always known.

Have an open mind when debating. I have experienced being close-minded on some subjects because I just do NOT agree with their opinion, but with all of the changes happening, I am going to strive to become more agreeable and able to see someone else's point of view. By seeing someone else's point of view, you do not have to change your opinion. You just have to be open to what they have to say. If this does change your opinion then great, but it does not have to.

So in short, having a debate is great but remember:

1. Arguing can be fun!
  2. Feel your emotions.
  3. Stand up for what you believe in.
  4. Educate yourself.
  5. Be able to see past people's opinions.
  6. Have an open mind.

Having an opinion on something and sharing it means possessing the ability to see and/or hear both sides. This is something that is so important to remember when having a debate or an argument when opinions are different. So, read the news, form your opinions and go out into the world and debate away.

"A good leader can engage in a debate frankly and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he and the other side must be closer, and thus emerge stronger. You don't have that idea when you are arrogant, superficial, and uninformed." — Nelson Mandela