Dear Writer’s Block, You Are My Kryptonite

You come so often and stay so long, please, just leave me alone.

15

Dear writer's block,

Thank you for always showing up when I least expect you and at the most inconvenient times. You are quite a frequent visitor in my head. It's almost like you can read my mind and predict when I am going to have something to work on because you always kick in at full speed when I have something due.

I try my best to keep you away by looking for inspiration in everything I do, I scan my surroundings, talk to my friends, and reflect on the recent activity in my life, but without fail you always seem to take the wheel and steer my thoughts elsewhere as I sit here and trash draft after draft of ideas that come and fade so soon. You even make the list of ideas I have written down for safekeeping impossible to write about. I think to myself, "maybe if I take a break for a couple of hours, move my face away from my screen, maybe then when I come back my unwelcome guest will be gone". I wish I could say that this worked effortlessly but it doesn't, sometimes you are so stubborn that it takes me days to pull myself out of this funk that you created. Who let you be this powerful?

I love to write, but you make it hard. And it's not just me that you constantly bother, you are the unwanted roommate in the brain of a writer. Whether we are seasoned professionals or inexperienced beginners, you make us feel like nothing we produce will ever be good enough, the backspace key becomes our new best friend. You have taken hours of my life that I will never get back. All of the time I've spent staring emptily at a blank document or sheet of paper as the impending doom settles in that I need to write something. In the times I don't get the chance to beat you, I finally succumb to your authority knowing very well I have to put any thought in my head down onto my page. I am disappointed and irritated, but time is of the essence.

You win this time, writer's block.

I hope I don't see you again too soon.