11 Things Only Writers Will Understand

11 Things Only Writers Will Understand

The struggle is worth that finished product!

1658
11 Things Only Writers Will Understand
tumblr

Being a writer has its ups and downs. Apart from the struggle of getting published, and the joy of having a good review, there are so many different qualities that make writing the special thing that it is. I love being a writer, it fulfills me with the excitement of creating whatever I please using only twenty six letters, but also practically drains me of my brain power. Being a “real” writer doesn’t mean you have to have Pulitzer Prize or a fan base, just a notebook and a pen is all it really takes. However, one thing that makes a writer true to their name, is being able to relate with all of these aspects of being a writer!

1. Hating all of it.

Is it the pen? The lighting? The music? Whatever it is, all writers go through the struggle of hating all of their creations. Like, the first thing you think while editing is, “Did I really write this?!” Sometimes we can criticize ourselves too harshly, and it’s alright to seek an outside opinion on work.

2. Picking the perfect name.

While not every writer is a fan of fiction, fiction writers understand the strife of finding that perfect name for your characters. Spending hours scrolling the internet on baby name sites searching, ultimately to kill them off a few chapters later.

3. Binge-writing.

Many writers, like myself, go weeks or even months without feeling inspired. It can be a difficult time, because I often feel like a failure for not producing anything. But, inspiration is not on a schedule, and when it comes to writers, they definitely know! They’ll spend hours writing for as long as their creativity inspires them.

4. It's not always for show.

Not every writer uses their skills for the money or fame. Sometimes it’s relaxing, even therapeutic to write. Writing can release feelings we hold deep inside, and often writers don’t even share half of what they write. Whether it’s poetry, free verse, or narratives, writing isn’t always for show.

5. Analyzing all forms of literature.

I’ll admit it- I’m a part of the grammar police. After studious hours spent editing and learning the "nitty-gritty" bits of grammar, it’s almost impossible for me to not analyze any written work I get my hands on. Writers first instinct is to inspect style, language, ext., it must be a, “self-immersion” technique.

6. To outline or to wing it?

The age old question writers ask themselves before diving into any idea: Do I write out an outline, or just go with the flow? Sometimes it’s best to outline your ideas to organize them if you’re easily confused with numbers, dates, and names, but for some writers it’s easiest to just see where the words take you.

7. Loving it too much.

Yes, there are even times when writers fall in love with their work. It’s fulfilling when a writer finally finishes that project they’ve been working on for months, and sometimes they might take criticism a little far. Don’t worry, we understand a writer's work is their baby, and sometimes you love it a little too much!

8. One word changes everything.

Is she beautiful or is she lovely? Picking out the right word can be just as difficult as finding the name of your firstborn child. Journeying through Webster's.com to find that perfect adjective or verb has probably drove some writers crazy. Writers definitely understand these feelings of, "It’s on the tip of my tongue!"

9. Technical Difficulties

Ugh, I think we've all been through this depressing stage as a writer. There is nothing worse then being just about to hit that send button, or writing that final sentence, and the screen going black with a big "ERROR" message. A moment of silence for our fallen works lost to the technical abyss.

10. Need a "Hand"?

While most writers prefer the keyboard to make their work, there are some who still write by hand. Not only is this time consuming, but can be often painful for these writers. Make sure to keep lotion around to massage your hands, and to take breaks every now and then to loosen the stiffness!

11. We know we aren't our favorites.

“So you’re, like, a real writer?” There’s a stigma with writers that I’ve experienced myself, with many people assuming that writers have an incredibly high ego. However, this is completely untrue, as writers often couldn't even imagine comparing their work to their favorite authors. We know we aren’t our favorites, but writers deserve to be proud of their work, because every writer starts out somewhere with some notebook paper and a great idea.