An Open Letter To Established Writers, From An Aspiring One

To write is a brave endeavor in itself. To write is to uphold a position of offering up your work and yourself to the judgement of others.

222

Dear established writers,

As an aspiring writer with a few small publications, I may be familiar with some of your work. I read a lot from the greats such as J.K. Rowling, Gillian Flynn, Stephen King, and F. Scott Fitzgerald, to name a few. In one of my literature classes I took back as a freshman in college, a professor announced we would be reading from "The Great Gatsby." My fellow creative writing students moaned and groaned, "Why do we have to read stories? We just want to write them." I will never forget what my professor said next. His explanation: "To write great writing, you must read great writing."

However, as both a reader and writer, I have come to find that sometimes great writing isn't attached to a well-known and "great" name. I have found great writing through my peers, other aspiring writers, as well as writers I've never known but saw their book on a shelf and gave them a chance, which brings me to my first question to you.

First Chance

How did you - back before you became an established writer - get people to give you that first chance? How did you make people want to read your content, to simply decide to read a work from an unknown author? I have put my heart and soul into pieces, and felt so good about the work I had created, and watched as they fell through the cracks because they just weren't getting much attention. This can be a little soul crushing. I know it takes time to get your name out there, but I'm asking you, how do I - an aspiring writer - move past this part of a writer's journey?

When Your Confidence Takes A Hit

I know this is something every writer has faced, even if you are as great as J.K. Rowling or Stephen King. When your work isn't as well received as you thought it would be, when you hit writer's block, or maybe you read "great writing" and think that just won't be something you'll achieve, your confidence as a writer takes a hit. I wrote a piece that meant a lot to me about a month ago, and expected it to do really well. Turns out, it is one of my least read and shared pieces I've done. What do we, aspiring writers, do when we begin to question our work? Our capabilities as a writer? How did you move past this to achieve all the things you have today?

Inspiration

So many things inspire me to write what I do. I believe that is why I write the variety of content that I do. I find inspiration in literature, such as Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. I also find inspiration in music - especially that of John Lennon - current issues, and more. But I want you to know, you established writers, with your upcoming novels, fan clubs, philanthropy, and creative freedom, that you remind me every day of where I want to be. The excitement I feel when I open one of your books, or the rush of emotion and feelings upon finishing it, is all I want to give my readers.

Being Tough

One thing I have learned quickly just being a writing student, is that you have to be tough in this field. You have to accept not everyone is going to like your work. Some may even hate it entirely. But if it is something you are proud of, you must defend it and know that someone out there will appreciate your work. To do this, you have to accept that you may hear horrible reviews, irritating "corrections", and many negativities about your work. The great Harper Lee once said, "I would advise anyone who aspired to a writing career that before developing this talent he would be wise to first develop a thick hide." While I think I have grown to accept criticism I think I could be better at it. What did you do as an established writer do to be stronger when it comes to poor reviews or ill received publications? How did you gain that confidence in your work that prompted you to press on to find that right audience, the audience that would truly love your work for what it is and in the same way you do? How did you make your way through all the trials and tribulations that accompany pursuing a writing career?

So with all that has been said, I as an aspiring young writer, am merely calling upon those established asking for any words of wisdom, offerings of advice, or tips to bring me closer to getting a taste of writer's royalty.