Dear Roommate

Dear Roommate

Not every roommate will be bad, just take a small risk.

18
Dear Roommate
University of Southern Maine

Dear Roommate,

You've taught me so many things even though our friendship has only lived for a short time. I remember how afraid I was to get yet another bad roommate but I was later shown how amazing you really are. One of our mutual friends, in fact, was the one who connected us to each other. I had never heard or seen you before but I decided to take a risk because why not? Taking that risk, jumping into something that already scared me, it was the best decision I had made all year. There are traits about you that honestly just make me so happy that I said yes. I'm glad we share a room but there are some very specific aspects of you that make having you as a roommate much more enjoyable.

You're smile, it brightens every day even when I can hardly pull myself out of bed, even when all I want to do is curl up into a ball and cry. Your smile is the sun to me and that's why you've inherited the nickname Sunshine. Everyone needs that ray of light that can cure any uncertain feeling or any negative thoughts that might be clouding their mind. You've got this touch of magic upon your words that make me go from zero to a ten. I can see why people grasp onto you so much; you're just an amazing person.

Not only does your smile conjure up all these things but so does your laugh. People say we laugh the same. It's so unique to find that other person that laughs just like you and I think that's one of the reasons why we bonded so easily. Two people with the same type of humor and the same laugh just sharing another moment of sunshine. You're literally a walking version of your emoji pillow. You laugh at most things and laughing is good! It makes people happy and it let's people know you're a happy person.

Lastly, although these traits are not always the best, I know we both understand the struggles of life. We've both been pressed with disappointment, fear, anger, and been captured by the people we love in a sheltered home. You've shown me because of this, that it's okay to cry, to let your guard down, to get mad. It's okay to not answer right away or to stay resilient. You've shown me that even though these days may pierce the good ones, that I'll always have someone there to hug me, tell me the right things, and to understand everything I'm going through. College is hard enough when you don't have the availability of your parents so I thank you for being that person for me. I thank you for being the best roommate a girl could have. I thank you for being my ray of sunshine.