Dear Rich Kids Of Johns Creek....

Dear Rich Kids Of Johns Creek....

More money, more problems

294
Dear Rich Kids Of Johns Creek....
Lauren Garrett

The median household income in Johns Creek, Georgia, our hometown, is about $110,000.

That fact alone is staggering. That is over 2x more than the national average, ranking us the 13th highest-earning city in the country.

Is anyone else completely floored and shocked?? That is a lot of money.

But no. The fact is nobody else is even remotely surprised because we have all grown up in this world. And it may or may not be fair to blame the kids for their behavior since we were all nurtured in this environment. One can't be critical of the human nature to take advantage of the opportunities given to us. However, it is the behavior of flippancy, entitlement and expectant superiority due to someone else's hard work that is usually the product of an environment like the one present in Johns Creek, and that is what is disgusting and annoying.

The cover photo for this article - a real-life example that I happened to stumble across from an acquaintance who is currently enrolled in a Johns Creek-servicing high school - speaks more than a thousand words. In a series of Snapchats, the photographer shows themselves in a bath filled with one-dollar bills, joking about them being "a new bath bomb". They later make jokes about "Trump showing them how to bathe" - a clear reference to their affluence - and stick all of the bills to the wall. Although it is unclear exactly how much money is being bathed in, a conservative estimate would lend a number anywhere between $75-$200.

Besides the obvious fact that money is the dirtiest thing in our society - more dirty than doorknobs and toilet seats, with one experiment showing over 135,000 bacteria on one bill (ew) - the need to show off the fact that they had enough money to literally take a bath in it is a prime example of the feeling of entitlement and apathy that is rampant among kids in our area.

Almost all students own their own cars, either before or once they reach legal driving age. While there is no fault in that - I have my own car, too - overheard phone conversations and "jokes" have been made about how "I refuse to drive any car that isn't a Jeep or has a V8 engine". Whether or not this is actually was a joke is a moot point - the car that they ended up driving fit one of these criteria. And avoid wrecks at all costs - a friend who was in a minor fender-bender, in which the only visible dent was about the size of a fingernail and was not discernible from over 15 feet away, ended up hefting a $5000 bill to fix the whole side of the car to make it perfect again.

Clearly, this atmosphere will create problems on both sides of the spectrum.

For the people whose parents make less than this $110,000 yearly income, it gets difficult. In school, there is extreme pressure to dress in anything expensive - it is not extremely uncommon to see people walking down the hallway in original, authentic Yeezys, sneakers that range in price from $300-$600 - or brand-name, and cars, not of a specific style (Jeep) or price range (sports cars) or even age, are scoffed at. Everything is priced higher, and you're expected to go all out for every event - if you didn't, did you even go? People just go, to everything - it seems like everyone's always at every festival, every concert, and every event, and you can't do anything except sit at your job and stare at your wallet and wonder, how? Even businesses are priced higher in Johns Creek - there are juice bars charging over $10 for a smoothie; gas prices decrease by almost ten cents after crossing the river on State Bridge into Gwinnett County; and many medical procedures are available at fractions of the costs in other nearby areas that are outside of the city limits.

For the people whose parents make more than this $110,000 yearly income, it gets difficult. You leave Johns Creek to go to college and make your own, independent life, and you realize that the real world isn't quite like Johns Creek. Some of your parents may continue to support you into adulthood, but many won't (especially since your lifestyle is likely very expensive!). Now you're going to have to make many sacrifices. The world is not going to hand you anything, except maybe a few more bills and a jury summons. Everything changes very quickly, and suddenly life isn't so fun.

Obviously, there is no anger and extreme criticisms here. What could I say? I am also a high school student in this area, having lived here my whole life. I have my own car (it's a nice one), and I love spending money on as many experiences as my part-time job will allow me. My parents give me all I could want and more, and I am extremely grateful to them for doing so. This is the situation that God has blessed you with, and it is yours to enjoy.

However, there is a problem with the bragging. You do not need to bathe in money. You do not need to look down on other people for how they dress, the cars that they drive or type of phone that they carry. You do not need to throw your family's money in other people's faces. Did you earn any of it? Did you buy your own car? Is the mansion that you live in and snap about every day titled under your name? Or did your parents give it all to you, like you've come to expect them to do with everything else?

You're a teenager that is still living with their parents. You are not better than anyone else because your father can support your family living in a gated community, or because your mother bought you an expensive car for your birthday, or because you're the first in line to get the newest iPhone each time that Apple releases a new one. It is absolutely fine to enjoy these things quietly, privately in your own corner, and it is fine to be proud of them. Show off a little bit, sometimes - everyone will be happy for you! But continually posting about them, talking down to other people who don't have them (even jokingly saying "I feel bad for you if you don't have (insert material item that I have and you don't) in your life" is unnecessary) and blatantly showing off that you have so much money that it is disposable, so much so that you take a (germ-infested) bath in it, is nothing but precocious. Nobody actually cares (except for the other shallow people that do the same thing).

You live in a bubble. I live in a bubble. We all do. And one day, we are going to escape it, and we will all learn several hard lessons about realities. But the world hates braggers, and, until it is your $110,000/year supporting your wasteful lifestyles, keep your obnoxious noise to a minimum.